Brake Problems

JGC403

Reaction score
1965 New Yorker
The brake pedal doesn't come up off the floor very quickly. You have to wait a couple of seconds for the pedal to come up high enough that you can get you foot under it to pull it the rest of the way up. The gasket in the master cylinder failed and brake fluid got into the booster. I replaced the master cylinder. I replaced the wheel cylinders, new hardware and shoes on the rear axle. The old wheels cylinders were sticking. But that still didn't help the brake pedal come bake up.

I am going to finish up the brakes this weekend by replacing the wheel cylinders, hardware and shoes on the front suspension.

We are trying to figure out what is going on here. So we took the master cylinder off of the booster and pushed the brake pedal in and it still takes a long time for the pedal to come back up. So could it be something in the booster that is slowing it down? Or it seems like it something with the pedal assembly itself?

Last edited:
With the master cylinder off, as you tested, the internal spring should return the piston quickly. I was cleaning one inside with alcohol recently (off a Breeze for use on my Dart, switching from glycol to silicone) and the piston stopped returning like you describe. I poured a little silicone fluid down the bore on the backside and it freed up quick. In that case, it was due to too much friction on the piston seals. If not that, it could be that the internal passages are clogged, causing a fluid lock.

Of course, in the final assembly, friction in the booster or pedal could also oppose the return spring, so insure those move freely.

Back