Brake shake....

69NooYawker

Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone has had any experience with brake shudder. I think I must have overtorqued the wheels and damaged the drums when changing them. I've backed them off for now till I can get round to it. Just wondered if this sounded plausible. Lots of shake coming through steering column.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks

Did this just start doing the shaking or has it been on going? A wheel cylinder could be leaking, grease on drum or the drums are out of round and need to turned. Take the drums off and inspect everything.

Just wondered if anyone has had any experience with brake shudder. I think I must have overtorqued the wheels and damaged the drums when changing them. I've backed them off for now till I can get round to it. Just wondered if this sounded plausible. Lots of shake coming through steering column.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks
Jack the wheels, loosen and retorque if the issue happens all the time (maybe you didn't seat a wheel properly), if it only happens while braking... 65sporty has you covered. I seriously doubt you could over torque the wheels enough to hurt the drums/hubs without destroying the lug holes in the wheel. It has happened on newer light weight parts, your old stuff is pretty robust and would take a lot of punishment before causing problems.

Did this just start doing the shaking or has it been on going? A wheel cylinder could be leaking, grease on drum or the drums are out of round and need to turned. Take the drums off and inspect everything.
Yeah this just started, and only happens on braking....

Like Cantflip said recheck the wheels and if their ok check the brakes like I suggested above.:)

Yeah this just started, and only happens on braking....

Were you doing any work on the car prior to this starting? How old are the brakes on the car? Does it simply badly need a brake job?

I'll bet your axle shaft seal is leaking, I got brand new drums and wheel cylinders on mind yet my 71 is doing just what ur describing, pretty violent at speed..... Check your drum and shoes for contamination.

I'll bet your axle shaft seal is leaking, I got brand new drums and wheel cylinders on mind yet my 71 is doing just what ur describing, pretty violent at speed..... Check your drum and shoes for contamination.

Went through some incredibly nasty brake shake on my wagon when I converted the drums to 11". Turns out the damn drum itself wasn't properly balanced!

Back