Brakes

66furywagon

Reaction score
I am sure this has been asked .
What spindles can i use to put disk on my 66 fury wagon.

Ok i get the that about the 67-68
But what is the reason the 74 up wont work

popcorn.gif

The 74 up do not have a lower ball joint like your car, the ball joint in the 74+ cars is in the lower control arm. As I mentioned before a guy has a set for sale on here which will bolt in?

If you could find a complete ‘66-‘68 setup that would be a good way to go, in my opinion, since almost all the parts are available (booster is the exception but you have that problem anyway).

Get a Scare bird kit. Uses your old spindles, a Ford full size rotor, and calipers and pads from a 90s Dodge ram. The calipers are designed to stop a 6000# empty pick up truck, they can handle your 4000# Plymouth.

The 4-piston calipers on the earlier cars might have been problematic, but so were the 4-piston calipers on Corvettes. Except the Corvette people started to get stainless steel sleeves installed in the Corvette calipers (as a part of their rebuild process). End of problem. Can't the same be done with the earlier Chrysler calipers? Just curious.

IF I remember correctly, the pistons bores pitted similarly to the drum brake wheel cylinder bores? With the stainless steel sleeves and better modern brake fluids, changed every few years, might the earlier systems be able to "live" better? Provided the necessary items to repair the earlier system can be acquired?

In those earlier times, before the sleeved calipers were devised, it was "replace" each caliper housing and any other items it might need. Quite expensive, even for the Corvette customers, back then.

Of course, when the single-piston calipers came out, it was a major advance for ease of service and longevity, in comparison.

I believe the lower ball joints are all put into the lower control arm. What's different might be the diameter of the ball joint STUD, which needs a matching-size hole in the knuckle/spindle?

When the '74 C-body cars were designed, they upgraded/upsized many things. Some of these things did not interchange with the earlier cars, especially chassis/body shell-related items. Prior weaknesses, in the case of a/c capacity and air flow, were FIXED, for example.

I generally like the ScareBird approach to using "auto supply items" rather than scrounging for salvage yard items. Just make sure to keep a parts list of what you used! But you might still have to deal with the "unobtainium" situation later on. Especially since it's been about 20 years since I first saw his various "conversion" parts lists.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Last edited:
I am sure this has been asked .
What spindles can i use to put disk on my 66 fury wagon.
Short answer, 66-68, disc only spindle. Hens teeth, or mix and match different years as stated, or buy the set floating around for $200 and swap them in. I said it in your other post, but the factory drum setup works great when you set it up correctly. Stops plenty fast when you need to. It's not Ferrari caliber, but what setup for reasonable money will be? My luck sucks for finding NOS parts for cheap, maybe you will have better luck. You can get your brakes fixed cheaply and easily using what's already there, and spend money on other things. That's what I did after I found out correct year parts were hard to find and required a 15" rim to clear, which I didn't, and still don't have for the fronts. Can't remember if that was mentioned, you'll need 15" rims if you find a stock setup. Good luck to you on your stopping issues!

Put a Ferrari on H speed rated P225/75R-15 whitewalls and see how quickly it stops. ABS computer might be smoking as much as the tires?

CBODY67

Actually, you will need the booster for rebuilding. It can no longer be commonly bought outright.
The most valuable parts that captin71newport is offering are the ‘69-‘72 rotors pictured. They are pretty much gone in the aftermarket.
I believe the lower ball joints are all put into the lower control arm. What's different is the diameter of the ball joint STUD, which needs a matching-size hole in the knuckle/spindle.

Enjoy!
CBODY67
Firstly, power boosters are readily available through Rockauto as direct purchase or rebuild.
Secondly, new rotors too are readily available through Rockauto for about $50 ea.
Thirdly, ALL 65 to 73 lower ball joints are the same and attach to the bottom side of the spindle, EXCEPT Imperial maybe. I am not including the 67-68 disk spindles in this conversation because they are rare and hard to come by.
As for the 74-78 spindles, the ball joints are a round type same as found in the upper control arm, but are mounted in the lower control arm, there is no lower ball joint attached to the spindle.

Back