Braking issues

69furyIII

Reaction score
I'mhaving big problems with new 4 wheel drum brakes, brakes have been bled,but now car pulls to right when driving, but straightens out while braking, then for a while brakes feel good, then while braking from 40mph I put the brakes on and pedal feels like it drops and brake light on dash comes on and of course takes for ever to stop,then they heat up and start squeaking when brakes applied,it has a rebuilt power booster all new wheel cylinders,drums and shoes.but the master cylinder I think is original 49 years old, when I jacked up the front,the right wheel sticks but when I adjusted it when I Did I the brakes it turned freely, but now when I rotate the tire I look were the adjuster is and it moves as if the shoes are engaged to the drum, could this be a sticking wheel cylinder. Or bad master cylinder, thank you all for your help.

I'mhaving big problems with new 4 wheel drum brakes, brakes have been bled,but now car pulls to right when driving, but straightens out while braking, then for a while brakes feel good, then while braking from 40mph I put the brakes on and pedal feels like it drops and brake light on dash comes on and of course takes for ever to stop,then they heat up and start squeaking when brakes applied,it has a rebuilt power booster all new wheel cylinders,drums and shoes.but the master cylinder I think is original 49 years old, when I jacked up the front,the right wheel sticks but when I adjusted it when I Did I the brakes it turned freely, but now when I rotate the tire I look were the adjuster is and it moves as if the shoes are engaged to the drum, could this be a sticking wheel cylinder. Or bad master cylinder, thank you all for your help.

It could be either. If just the one wheel is hanging up, it might be the wheel cylinder, could also be an adjustment issue, one brake adjusted too tight can cause the car to pull to one side or the other. Since your brake light is coming on, I think you might still have air in the system or one of the adjusters has detached and is not engaging the lower part of the brake shoes . If you have not already done so, you should also replace the brake hoses front and rear, at 49 years old, they are past due. Most of the time when the power brake booster fails, it was because the master cylinder was leaking fluid into the booster, you should always replace the master if you have had booster problems. You need to start with those items and report back.

Also when you install the new master cylinder, be sure to check the travel rod adjustment, if you have it adjusted too long, it will cause all 4 brakes to drag and overheat.

Dave

I'e replaced the front hoses, I'll do the rear soon, also when my booster went bad, the rubber diaphragm split, I didn't see any moisture,I will definitely take the master off and inspect it, all 4 wheel cylinder were replaced last year, never been a fan of drums, but fixing them is alot cheaper than disk brake conversion,lol, thank you for the info.

I checked the level and it is full, the pedal went down, then I turned in my driveway it felt normal and I checked the fluid.its so confusing2.

Ok,so all hoses and wheel cylinders are brand new,bleed everything no air inlines,but pedal feels spongy, if I pump the brakes and look into master cylinder, the front chamber has tiny bubbles, I did noticed the master cylinder was replaced,just not sure when,I've had the car 13 years,and my dad bought it new in 1969,but can2' remember when it was replaced.

Spongy is usually air, tiny bubbles or froth is usually air. A pedal that sinks is a bad master, or a external leak.
I think you have a bad master cylinder, sometimes it is not a problem on a car with no brake problems , but when bleeding or the pedal / master cylinder travels to where it does not normally go there may be rust in the bore causing it to start failing. Brake fluid traps moisture.

Thank you I'll look into mastercylinder replacement real soon.

So I replaced master cylinder,all the wheel cylinders, shoes and drums,and rubber hoses,I bleed the brakes the pedal feels a little spongy, and some time the red brake light comes on the dash, could it be possible that I don't have all for brakes adjusted properly, when I spin each wheel I get 2 or 3 rotations out of them.

Back