Breaking news: mob hit on '68 Newport

PH27L7

Reaction score
This was on the evening news tonight, crazy stuff.

68 newport explodes.jpg

NORTH HUNTINGDON (KDKA) – An investigation is underway after a car explosion rocked a North Huntingdon Township neighborhood late Saturday night.
A classic car exploded on the 1100 block of Clay Pike around 11:40 pm. Investigators believe the explosion was no accident.
“I heard a tremendous explosion,” said Gabs Marsico, a neighbor.
“It felt like a little earthquake,” said Paul Ritchie, a neighbor.
Neighbors said the blast was so loud it could be heard miles away.
“The whole neighborhood woke up,” Marsico said. “It woke me up and I looked out the window. I knew it was something pretty violent.”
Authorities said the 1967 Chrysler Newport belonged to the homeowner of the house it was parked outside of.
ATF, North Huntingdon Police Department, and the FBI were investigating Sunday. They believe it was intentional.
“We do believe this was an intentional criminal act. I don’t know that I can say much more than that,” said Ronald Sabotchick, resident agent in charge of the Pittsburgh ATF office. “There is a lot of damage to the front of the car,” he said.
The hood of the car is mangled and charred. The side of the house also has some damage.
No one was hurt in the explosion.
Neighbors explained just how loud the boom was.
“My daughter lives about 3 to 4 miles from here and they heard it over there,” Marsico said.
“It was just a loud bang and I just felt the ground shake and it really scared me,” Ritchie said.
This was a shocking incident for this quiet neighborhood.
“It doesn’t happen around here, nothing like that, it’s pretty quiet and something like that is weird,” Ritchie said.
Investigators have not released many details or if they have identified any suspects.

“We do believe this was an intentional criminal act. I don’t know that I can say much more than that,”

I feel like another intentional act is in order. Looks like it was a nice car.

Here's another view of the damage.
upload_2021-5-17_7-57-40.png

upload_2021-5-17_7-56-5.png

Looks like they tossed something under the left front of the car.

If they had done the right, bet they would have broke a fuel line and it would have been more damage. As it is, I'll bet the car is repairable as sheet metal took the hit.

I would've thought that they would have run the VIN. It is clearly a a 68 not a 67.

One of the problems with fixing the car is the busted windshield. You can not get a sedan windshield new.

If they had done the right, bet they would have broke a fuel line and it would have been more damage. As it is, I'll bet the car is repairable as sheet metal took the hit.

Agreed, but disagreed about the body! Control arms tweaked and God only knows what other suspension and structural frame damage their is?

All of the other glass remained intact! That, to me, is pretty amazing in and of itself. That appears quite fixable. Replace the front inner and outer sheet metal, and whatever under the hood was wiped out. Oh, and the unobtainium front windshield.

Caught the alleged culprit, apparently he was a one man crime wave. He supposedly shot up 3 houses, burned one down, blew up the Newport, then shot 2 people dead. He was walking along the highway with an assault rifle & cops tased him.
wanted 1.jpg
wanted 2.jpg

Back