Bridge to a submarine base?

mindshark13

Reaction score
CB5982C9-D82C-4B03-9398-D8732A89FCB6.png
Has anyone ever traveled this Marvel of Modern Technology in Virginia or is it a CGI hoax?

Ok now I know it really exists. I have to wonder what purpose. For its design. Is there a center section to allow large vessels to go thru? Or was that the purpose of the tunnel?

For ships do pass over I'd guess, I'm sure that's what they did it for? I-10 does the same thing going under Mobile Bay. Running a causeway for 10-12 miles up on stilts going westbound and you don't know you're going under 'til you're rite on top of that tunnel. First time I ran that road in that direction I'm maybe 2 miles away from it and I see a freighter crossing I-10 and I knew something waz up, lol. Jer

Went through there when it was first built. Only one side at the time.

Yes, the big ships out of Norfolk Naval Base pass over the tunnels.

We love to go through the area of Virginia north of there... They have wild horses in some areas.

If I remember correctly, the Bay Bridge-Tunnel has three tunnels. The Hampton Roads area also has a few other Bridge-Tunnels, that are not quite as long.

Wow just mind boggling! I need to get out more. It’s incredible how I now know it’s real but the info and pictures that bring it to life on this site!!

Here they didn’t learn the first time how a freighter can ram a pier on the Sunshine Skyway bridge and cause it to collapse and cost so many lives unnecessarily but they turned right around and built it to fail again.....

I can’t help but think that first pic that Polarus sent would have been a U boat captains dream. All that tonnage lined up in a row....

They went with tunnels as apposed to a bridge because it’s the entrance to Norfolk Naval Base.
A collapse whether natural disaster or sabotage could cut off the fleet.
I’ve driven the thing a couple times. I could sit at one of the scenic pull-off spots and watch boats all day long.

Back