Bring back our Drive-in movies!

Zymurgy

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately most of our drive-ins are long gone. There are actually 3 near me but all are about 40-50 minutes away. The one I went to the most is still there but being used by a church currently and only 20 miles away.

The cynic in me says they will never release the big block busters this summer just to the few remaining drive-ins, but I hope I am wrong.

If they were smart they would have pop up drive-in movies in the theater parking lots, malls, and the such. Bring in the local food truck and have everything delivered right to your car.

We all need this, I wish something like this would happen this summer.

2018-12-03_07-20-22.jpg
2018-12-03_07-20-41.jpg

Last edited:
yep. the drive in, two suburbs away, closed last spring. bickering by the family estate. sits empty, next to an abandoned trucking type site.
drove past yesterday, remarked to mm that if that place was open, they would sell out, every night this current madness goes on

Phoenix is the 5th largest city and we only have one drive in left. And it's not even in Phoenix, it's in Glendale.

We had a drive- in abt 40 minutes away, went there a number of times and had a ball! Nothing better than a drive - in concession stand chili dog and fries!! Was planning on taking the grandkids there this summer but we got the bad news last fall...it too closed:(

We have one in our little county. Both towns make up about 8K people.
Home
I've been surprised they are still operating. However they are a "non essential" company and can't open unless they are approved. Bull crap. That would work well for everyone in quarantine.
When I grew up in the front range of Colorado there were several sadly they are all gone.

Drive ins are going away because they only make money when its warm. The property now is worth more than the owners can make and then the insurance and taxes make them unprofitable. Add to that movie going is dropping due to the internet and other outlets.
Then there is the cost of going to the movies.
Re the value of the property...in some (and probably more than we know) developers partner with local governments that are always looking for more tax revenue condemn the theatres and the owners are forced to sell. Then the developers put in another strip mall with shops that don't last very long and wind up being empty.
And in some cases the owners themselves close the drive in and develop a shopping center complete with multi screen cinemas which are open year round and put more seats in the seats.

We have about 5 in the local Akron area within a 30-mile radius, including one about 1/4 mile from me. Great experience taking the kids, grabbing a pizza or two and enjoying the movies.
Just wish there were better movies to see. Seems most are either third-rate remakes of the original, or poorly done rip-offs of materials that are inappropriate for family movies.
Great to settle back in a B or C-body Mopar and relax at the drive-in

The one closest to us and others we've gone to cannot afford the cost to convert to digital projection. That's killing them as much as development pressure. Hard to justify $50-60k for a few months of being open ( most only on wknds)

The digital projection issue is what's going on with our drive in. They have a donations page asking the locals to help so they can try to keep up.

I was able to attend the drive in several weeks ago before the Chinese Kung Flu shut them all for the time being.(I have three drive-ins near me).

Drive ins would be neat... too hot here for summer to be fun. Curfew would kill it right now, funny they closed as non-essential... they had the social distancing thing all along.

Our little town of about 10,000 started a go fund me a few years back for our single screen theater to be converted to digital. I was amazed $100,000 was raised which was enough for the projector and to replace the roof.

We have a wonderful gem, but I am afraid this is going to kill it. They have great food for carry out, but that's not going to be enough.

I had forgotten about the digital conversion.

The funny part is I have worked in the photographic industry for 37 years.
We made the switch to digital back in the 90s Iirc.

We have one in our Northern Community and they are just waiting for all the snow ( Yes we still have snow on the ground. ;) ) to finally melt, and the ground to firm up so they can start showing films.

Back