Bring me up to date please.

Polara_500

Legendary Member
Reaction score
I haven't put together an engine for a long while, so with that said... what would be a fair price for a 383 - basic prep (tank, mag, etc) followed up by line honing, boring +.030, and decking for square?? Just kind of a ball park number would be great although a breakdown of current pricing, (in your area), would be even better.

One million dollars...

20200301_145237.jpg

Seriously, around here it would run about $2000-2500 with a the short block assembled. Good luck!

Seriously, around here it would run about $2000-2500 with a the short block assembled. Good luck!
Yeah, I've generally done the assembled short block also, found what may be a pretty good deal but want to check before I plunk down my hard earned cash.

Mike, give Berg Automotive a call here in Fargo. They have a machine shop and did my engine ( although it was 12 years ago now). They bored the engine ground the crank, did the heads, valves and hardens seats. They also pressed in the piston pins to the rods. I did the assembly of everything. It was reasonable. I will see if I can find the invoice.

Yeah, they did my last engine Marty, but they're not open today.......and it's been 19 years since then.

Edit: Sorry, Quality did my truck engine.....

Last edited:
Like me Mike, nothing can wait for tomorrow? :D

Here’s my bill from 12 years ago.
$1411 -
included:
engine kit, pistons rings, timing chain, cam, gaskets.
Head job, with guides, hardened seats, plane head. Magna-flux.
Clean and bore block.
Grind crank
Fit pistons to rod.
Install Rod bearings. (Pistons ready to install)
$1411. 2008 dollars.
I did the assembly and plasti-gauged to check tolerances.

Mopar lifters, Water pump rebuild and oil pump extra.

So do you add 15% for today’s $$

image.jpg

Back