Bringing my baby blue back from the dead

O_Knut

Reaction score
Well my Newport royal coupe (which might I say I have only seen maybe 5 others online) had sat for over 2 months. Being 17 I lacked the funds to rush into a gigantic restoration of the car but I never once forgot about the car, anyways now I have my license and the car still sat so we tried and tried and finally just after we had given up hope she cranked to life (she wasn’t picking up enough fuel) anyways I noticed that after a lil bit of backroads driving at night once I parked it, the cars engine was running incredibly hot and the contents of the radiator sounded like they were boiling. I must ask is this normal? I’ve been told I should do a 50/50 water and antifreeze mix into the radiator but I currently have no clue what liquids are in there now. Looking for any help I can get, thanks guys for being so supportive. (Here’s a picture of 2 boats, both currently land bound)
06AB1FC4-7F72-4CB8-A87D-605BE66DC54A.jpeg
B111C930-B1D7-4D16-8F28-153B45063561.jpeg
00B0F496-2E71-4F9A-944D-153859B4C9CA.jpeg

Man, this brings back memories of when I was 16 and my dad gave me his '68 New Yorker and I was trying to get it all back into shape, not because I wanted to restore a classic car or anything but just because I needed transportation! I would suggest draining the radiator completely, filling with clean water and radiator flush, drive about 100 miles, repeat, then fill with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. Be sure to turn on the heat when you are driving it with the flush in! Nice car. Good luck with it!

Not normal.

First thing is to (obviously) check the level. My bet is on a stuck thermostat.

There are a few other things I want to point out.
The thermostat should work, the radiator cap gasket should be fine and there should be a spiral in the lower radiator hose.
There should also not be too much or too little water/antifreeze in the radiator...

OK, John was faster ;)

there should be a spiral in the lower radiator hose.
@O_Knut : If you wonder what @300L means by a "spiral", he means that there ought to be a wire spring in the lower radiator hose to prevent the latter from collapsing when hot (which is when you really need the coolant flow). See, for example, the discussions and links starting here.

See more of @Big_John advice here.

Glad to see that things are progressing! I'm proud for you to have such a fine car as your first car, too.

For now and initial diagnostics, fill the radiator to about 1" below the filler neck and put the cap back on. Let it idle and see how long it might take for the heater to work and watch the temp gauge. Then, with a non-contact IR heat gun, check the temps on the radiator core at various locations acorss it, the lower hose temp, the thermostat housing temp, and heater hose temps. Most should be close to 180 degrees F, if it has a 180 degree thermostat in it. If it might have a 195 degree thermostat, the temps should be raised appropriately. Also look for evidence of leaks at the core plugs on the sides of the engine block, too. You can also check the temps of those plugs, too, for good measure. ALL diagnostics so far, just like doing a compression test of the cylinders.

Then, turn off the engine and let it sit overnight. Recheck the coolant level in the radiator, looking for a lower level of things. But at this point, a lower level MIGHT be due to getting air out of the system, too, so re-top-off and let it run about 30 minutes again. Let it sit overnight and re-check the level. IF it is still good, THEN you can proceed with a drain and re-fill with coolant.

Used to be that a Chrysler 26" a/c radiator would take 9 quarts of antifreeze to fill it up, which would then result in a coolant protection of -34 degrees F once everything got mixed up. BUT for your initial deal, I would recommend 1 gallon of green coolant in. Reason? It has been observed that an antifreeze mixture will find ways OUT of the system that plain water will not, so no need to waste a gallon of antifreeze in this warmer weather, to me.

Coolant flushes? My orientation is to NOT use a caustic coolant flush operation on anything which is older (or more than about 3-4 model years old). Reason? As the internal scale attaches to the core plugs, becoming a part of them with time, removing that scale/crud/corrosion will make the base metal in the core plugs thinner and even thin enough to fail, causing leaks. So, nothing "full strength" at this time. DO plan, before the weather turns cold, to put the car on a lift, knock out the core plugs on the side of the block, and flush out the block's coolant passages. With particular attention to the rear cylinders on each side, as that's where "the accumulation" starts, as that's also the lowest part of the engine as it sits in the car. When done with all of that flushing, install new btonze freeze plugs, 2 gallons of new antifreeze and then water, new themostat of your choice, new radiator hoses and heater hoses, and that should have all of that stuff taken care of. Watch for heater core leaks, too.

With the heat gun readings taken earlier, you can also determine what might need to be done with re-coring the radiator, too. IF the radiator is holding coolant well and the car is not getting past the 1/2 mark on the temp gauge, you might delay any radiator repair until next Spring, if desired. Your judgment call.

Hopefully, you've looked at the ATF color and smell, too. Might be good to change the fluid and filter, too. Dexron III-type fluid was the Chrysler spec for back then. Plus some new motor oil, too. Plus the rear axle lube level, too.

DO figure on replacing all of the rubber fuel line sections, starting with the one at the tank sending unit. Note the special clamp/fuel tank sender ground back there, too. Then the short section near the front and the sections at the fuel pump and fuel filter. The current fuel line hoses are old and probably drying out, which the ethanol in the fuel will make worse, so replacing them all with new-spec hoses is a necessary investment in reliable operation in the future. Might also be why it was hard to start? Figure in a new quality fuel pump and GOOD new fuel pump pushroad, too

Until you get it running reliably, you might wait to do any tune-up type work on it, other than to just get and keep it running.

You've got a neat and good looking car. Take care of it and treat it well, just as you would for a close friend. Use all of the mechanical work as a learning curve experience, too. Doing everything well, although there might be a few areas you can temporarily skimp on, by observation. When done, the efforts will pay off in a unique (for the times) vehicle that is comfortable and reliable to own and drive.

Keep us posted on your progress,
CBODY67

I heard straight water can crack a block and my cars heater doesn’t work also it’s 95 out so it gets enough heat

Man, this brings back memories of when I was 16 and my dad gave me his '68 New Yorker and I was trying to get it all back into shape, not because I wanted to restore a classic car or anything but just because I needed transportation! I would suggest draining the radiator completely, filling with clean water and radiator flush, drive about 100 miles, repeat, then fill with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. Be sure to turn on the heat when you are driving it with the flush in! Nice car. Good luck with it!
I heard too much water can crack the engine block and I have no heater but it’s 95 outside

I heard straight water can crack a block and my cars heater doesn’t work also it’s 95 out so it gets enough heat
The ONLY times "straight" water will crack a block are number one, if it gets cold enough to freeze and number two, if you dump a lot of cold water into an already hot engine, although that is even questionable if it will or not. I personally have never seen it crack a block in that scenario, but there is no doubt it will crack if it freezes (Been there, done that myself).

The best thing is a 50/50 mix of good antifreeze and water. Use the green stuff that says "for old cars" or something like that. It will raise the boiling temperature and lower the freezing temperature. But until you figure it out, straight water is easier to work with, won't kill your dog if he laps up the spilled antifreeze and will dry up fast in the sun. Once you have solved your problem, go to the mix for even better results.

But, again, back to basics... First check the level. Too little coolant will cause a boil over... as will a stuck thermostat. The spiral coil in the lower hose is (IMHO) good insurance against hose collapse. Everything else you will read here will be suggestions on bringing the temperature down, and that's fantastic, but you need to get back to basics and tackle the easy stuff first.

Once you've determined that you have enough coolant and the thermostat is opening, then it's time to start looking at blown head gaskets (doubtful) and the like. You can damage the engine with overheating though, so don't screw around...

Also!!!! Don't be out driving this car without plates and insurance. I'm not sure how old you are, but if you are 17, you are putting your parents asses on the line should you hit someone. That may even be true at 18 or 19 these days....

@O_Knut -- you are getting top quality advice from folks who are widely recognized as practical experts on the board (I am not including myself in that group). Follow that advice, and best of luck!

@O_Knut -- you are getting top quality advice from folks who are widely recognized as practical experts on the board (I am not including myself in that group). Follow that advice, and best of luck!
I’m getting advice from people who definitely know more than me about these things , yes I will heed their advice

And as everyone is looking at what might be happening to cause the problem, I would like to comment what a great looking car and a great color combination. I'm sure everyone noticed but wanted to help so you can show it off.

And as everyone is looking at what might be happening to cause the problem, I would like to comment what a great looking car and a great color combination. I'm sure everyone noticed but wanted to help so you can show it off.
Thank you, it’s the semi rare (atleast on e and b bodies) gb2 blue (glacial blue 2) this is why I call it my “baby blue” also a nod to a song I love by the band badfinger which was made the same year my car was

Thank you, it’s the semi rare (atleast on e and b bodies) gb2 blue (glacial blue 2)
G in this case is the Mopar code for the year in which the color was introduced. E is 1969, F is 1970, G is 1971, etc.

B indeed stands for blue.

2 is an indicator of how dark the color is, running from 1 to 9.

I love GB2 (called « Glacial Blue » at Plymouth and Chrysler, « Light Blue » at Dodge) — and it’s a great fit to your car.

G in this case is the Mopar code for the year in which the color was introduced. E is 1969, F is 1970, G is 1971, etc.

B indeed stands for blue.

2 is an indicator of how dark the color is, running from 1 to 9.

I love GB2 (called « Glacial Blue » at Plymouth and Chrysler, « Light Blue » at Dodge) — and it’s a great fit to your car.
Man you are always good for teaching something new about these cars lol I never would have known

Back