Budd Brake Rotors--- REPRODUCTION !!!

Jim Strickland

Reaction score
SSBC is now reproducing the brake rotors part # 23077AA1A. $69 from Summit racing with free shipping and handling. I hope this helps a lot of people. I know it will for me !!!

That would be awesome! Please keep us up to date about what they said!

Ah, wait... Of course, wrong bolt pattern for Imperials....

Last edited:
They say they have pads though but I'm guessing they're talking about the Bendix 4 piston calipers and not Budd.

What is SSBC and was Budd a supplier for Chrysler back then? I guess these will be in different sizes? Drum brakes are lighter than disc ones?

Budd Wheel did lots of Chrysler contract work, of all sorts. In the late 70's, a bunch of us got hired to run the van-door line, taken back from Budd.[Chrysler was hurtin']

That would be awesome! Please keep us up to date about what they said!

Ah, wait... Of course, wrong bolt pattern for Imperials....

The Imperial Club had those rotor hats repopped some time ago if you need them.

The hat will fit both Imperial and C-body hubs.

Assuming they haven't sold them all.

I checked that Summit link and it shows they fit up to 71 on a Newport.
While they may fit the spindle, they won't fit anything else on a 71.

With SSBC make sure to do your due diligence. From what I see in reviews is they are good at packaging up quality components that don't play well together.

Kevin

Stainless Steel Brake Corp.! Ohh. Are drum brakes lighter than disc set-ups? I want to shed some weight on my '66.

Stainless Steel Brake Corp.! Ohh. Are drum brakes lighter than disc set-ups? I want to shed some weight on my '66.

NHRA class racers used to swap back to drums on disc cars that had drums as standard equipment to knock 15-20 lbs off the front of an A/B/E-body race car.

The performance advantage between a 4780 lb C-body and a 4800 lb one isn't worth driving a car with no brakes IMHO.

Kevin

With drum brakes you make only 1 hard braking, then you get ride with ambulance. Even 30 year old japan/euro cars stops faster.
If want light weight brakes. Go with Brembo etc aluminium calipers.
Drums today are big no no for me. Even you are best driver in world, there is others who aint.
Btw, what are stock disc brakes in -69 Newport?

C-body discs in 69 are 11.75", the same as 73. The only difference in 69 to 72 is the wheel bearings are smaller. The disc dimensions are the same from 69 right to the end of C-body production and continued on D100's until they changed from 4.5" bolt circle to whatever it is now.

Kevin

With drum brakes you make only 1 hard braking, then you get ride with ambulance. Even 30 year old japan/euro cars stops faster.
If want light weight brakes. Go with Brembo etc aluminium calipers.
Drums today are big no no for me. Even you are best driver in world, there is others who aint.
Btw, what are stock disc brakes in -69 Newport?

I will have a '66 Fury which weighs about 3,600 lbs. or so. Less than my mom's old '75 Cutlass Supreme 2-door. Drums might not be all that bad, but maybe I should at least replace the fronts with discs, the aluminum discs you suggested. That is a good idea. I might go ahead and do them all, probably.

Last edited:
Nono not aluminum disc. Aluminum disc would melt on first hard braking :) Calipers...
Disc can be only cast iron, cast iron with aluminum centre or carbon fiber... carbon fiber cost like 15-20k €/$

I meant calipers. Right. I don't need any carbon fiber stuff. I will have some fiberglass panels made if no one makes them for the '66 Fury line, like the Sport Fury, which has the same doghouse and should have the same trunk lid and bumpers. I need to get the weight down on this Fury I am getting soon.

1968 Chrysler Newport Premium OE Replacement Brake Rotors | Cquence.net

Anyone know anything about the above company, in the link, selling just a bare rotor, without the hub?
Guess you would need something like this for the Imperials, or when reusing your old hub off the 65-68 C body rotors.

The problem with the Imperials is, that the bolt pattern is different from all other models. The Imperials have 5x5in and the ohters have 4,5x5in.

So even if the the rotors would fit the 1968 bisk brake system, it would fit either the imperials or the others.
To check if it would fit the stock hub, you need the exact dimensions of the new discs and I could deliver the demensions of the old ones!?

Without a service book in front of me I tend to get all the difference in manufacturers mixed up.

What years are these for?

Alan

The Imperial Club had those rotor hats repopped some time ago if you need them.

The hat will fit both Imperial and C-body hubs.

Assuming they haven't sold them all.
Kevin

What do you mean by Rotor hat? There is the one piece rotor and the hub?
Brakes - 019.JPG
Brakes - 020.JPG

Back