BUDD Disc Brake Caliper Questions.

hemi71x

Reaction score
Going to put this question up to the forum readership and see what the answer(s) may be.

Is there any demand anymore, these days, for the BUDD disc brake calipers as cores?

I have 4 of them sitting on the storage shelving, that i never will do anything with them.

I took them all apart, cleaned them, soaked them all in a 5 gallon pail of Evaporust, and painted them with VHT high heat paint, just to give me something to do, when i did all this.

Now, here's the killer, sad thing, about these calipers.

Yes, lot's of the caliper bores will need to be sleeved, to bring them back to operational condition.

Boy, these things are hugh, and heavy.
Diesel trucks don't even have calipers this big anymore.

Should i just keep them as door stops, or are they of value to a select person, and try and find good new homes for them?
Thank's for reading all this.
hemi71x
Jim V.

Nobody in their right mind will use those calipers as part of a disc conversion from drums. They do have value as cores, you might contact Craig@mobileparts. He is a vendor on this site and would probably know what they are worth.

Dave

If I didn‘t have at least 10 sets of these cores I’d be surprised. They do have value probably around $25 each. I reached out to a local outfit that sleeves these and others, to see if they were interested and they would have been but my timing was off as they had just bought an even bigger stash recently. I will hold onto mine and keep in touch with the rebuilder.

They are Hugh and heavy --- but they don't take up ridiculously half of a garage space..... there are always people / rebuilders needing those Cores --- but as Detmatt said, not every single second.....

I wouldn't throw them out --- you know what you get for them, then.......

Craig.......

If they are only worth $25, I'd recycle.
Not worth your time/labor to ship.
Shipping costly because of weight.

If I didn‘t have at least 10 sets of these cores I’d be surprised. They do have value probably around $25 each. I reached out to a local outfit that sleeves these and others, to see if they were interested and they would have been but my timing was off as they had just bought an even bigger stash recently. I will hold onto mine and keep in touch with the rebuilder.
Holy S#*T, you got 20 of those calipers that you haven't done anything with.
And i thought i had a stash, with four of them.
Appears that i most likely will die with them, and let the executor of my estate throw them out, when i conk out, and take the permanent dirt nap.

Back