Build an Imperial wagon??? Maybe...

patrick66

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
I have this '75 Imperial four door parts car with an exceptional front clip on it, as well as other items. I also have a line locally on a '76 T&C wagon that supposedly runs and has a decent body and interior. Plan??? Take the wagon and put the Imperial front sheetmetal on it, as well as as much trim and such that will swap onto the T&C. Interior bits that are Imperial unique, as well.

I should be able to see the wagon this weekend. It's not advertised anywhere. I heard about it through a Mopar friend.

I think am Imperial "one-of-none" wagon would be a really cool way to build a cool and unique "C"-wagon. Whatcha think?

Ahhh... awesome!

I really want a wagon. Every time I go surfing and want to take two boards to choose depending on conditions, I am reminded why I was looking for a wagon in the first place. If anyone finds a '67 T&C donor out there....

Being a proud owner of a 76 Town and Country, I hate to burst your bubble... but it's been done before. Although it was a 77 NYB front clip(hidden headlights) it looked awesome! If you Bing or Google search 77 Town and Country in images you may find it. It's a cream yellow one. The guy put it together along the same lines you were thinking of. Great idea though! I'd love to see yours with the Imperial badging. I hope you do it!

In fact, it's been done several times already so you'll have one of several one of nones.
And I haven't been impressed how any of them integrated the wood grain trim into the Imperial front fender extensions.

Posted via Topify on Android

Being a proud owner of a 76 Town and Country, I hate to burst your bubble... but it's been done before. Although it was a 77 NYB front clip(hidden headlights) it looked awesome! If you Bing or Google search 77 Town and Country in images you may find it. It's a cream yellow one. The guy put it together along the same lines you were thinking of. Great idea though! I'd love to see yours with the Imperial badging. I hope you do it!

Could be this one (although it says "imperial" on the headlight door and it has the eagle hood ornament):

4071232551_1a3bac64e0_z.jpg

Being a proud owner of a 76 Town and Country, I hate to burst your bubble... but it's been done before.

I'm well aware of that fact, thanks. I've seen three up close. No bubble to burst, sorry. I'm just getting a feel for what you guys think about an Imperial wagon. Too easy.

I do not think I'd do one with woodgrain, though. I'd probably fill in the T&C-specific trim holes and make the car one solid color on the exterior.

I agree, it could look great if done right. As Commando mentioned, one of the trick will be to make the front trim look original. I think that this is best achieved by following the curve of the peak of the header extension instead of a 90 degree turn. As well, I think I'd french the teardrop tail light extensions into the rear and the rear bumper end into the wagon bumper. The wide tail lights were a nod to the New Yorker in 74/75, so I think the Imperial would need it's tear drop taillights. The last piece would be properly pulling off the Imperial interior in the wagon (dash door, panels, seats, everything).
As Commando mentioned these have been attempted a few times all hack jobs in some respects (the interior of the beige car above is a travesty with one of the worst home made consoles ever. The biggest error would be to have no woodgrain in my opinion. In the 70's the top end wagons had the woodgrain.

Here's a couple of the other attempts- the orange one is chopped and has a continental kit...ugh:

12190687666_39c61c4b96.jpg

Overhead.jpg

I agree, it could look great if done right. As Commando mentioned, one of the trick will be to make the front trim look original. I think that this is best achieved by following the curve of the peak of the header extension instead of a 90 degree turn. As well, I think I'd french the teardrop tail light extensions into the rear and the rear bumper end into the wagon bumper. The wide tail lights were a nod to the New Yorker in 74/75, so I think the Imperial would need it's tear drop taillights. The last piece would be properly pulling off the Imperial interior in the wagon (dash door, panels, seats, everything).
As Commando mentioned these have been attempted a few times all hack jobs in some respects (the interior of the beige car above is a travesty with one of the worst home made consoles ever. The biggest error would be to have no woodgrain in my opinion. In the 70's the top end wagons had the woodgrain.

Here's a couple of the other attempts- the orange one is chopped and has a continental kit...ugh:

Agree on that orange thing. Some times a car deserves to be crushed. This is one of those times.

I've thought about doing exactly what you've suggested and propose two alternatives. Given that the T&Cs all had horizontal tail lights, as an homage to the '74 NY, as mentioned, I think starting with a Plymouth Gran Suburban will give you a better chance to integrate the vertical tail lights into the quarters, since it was the only "C" with vertical lights. The other thing that appealed to me was that the GS I/P is the only "C" with a factory il pressure gauge.

If you're intent on staying with a T&C host, you might have an easier time integrating the tail lights of a ' 72 or '73 Imperial. Those cars already have the dip in the quarter panel line above the tail lights and I think would require less bodywork to pull it off.

Just my .02

Well, that "1976 Town and Country wagon" turned out to be a very, very rough 1971 Plymouth Suburban "B"-body wagon, minus engine and trans. I asked the guy "Where is the Town and Country wagon at?", to which he pointed to the Plymouth. After I explained to the idiot seller that the car was NOT a Chrysler T&C, and it still had the Plymouth emblems on it, he went off on a goofy rant, and I simply drove off. Oh, and the asking price for this no-title, no engine or trans gem is??? $2,000.

No, I did not take pics of it.

Well, that "1976 Town and Country wagon" turned out to be a very, very rough 1971 Plymouth Suburban "B"-body wagon, minus engine and trans. I asked the guy "Where is the Town and Country wagon at?", to which he pointed to the Plymouth. After I explained to the idiot seller that the car was NOT a Chrysler T&C, and it still had the Plymouth emblems on it, he went off on a goofy rant, and I simply drove off. Oh, and the asking price for this no-title, no engine or trans gem is??? $2,000.

No, I did not take pics of it.

Wait a minute.......is this by chance the same guy who was holding a complete wagon hostage and wanted to sell the carcass after robbing the drivetrain a couple of weeks ago? I believe he misidentified it as a Chrysler wagon too.

I have this '75 Imperial four door parts car with an exceptional front clip on it, as well as other items. I also have a line locally on a '76 T&C wagon that supposedly runs and has a decent body and interior. Plan??? Take the wagon and put the Imperial front sheetmetal on it, as well as as much trim and such that will swap onto the T&C. Interior bits that are Imperial unique, as well.

I should be able to see the wagon this weekend. It's not advertised anywhere. I heard about it through a Mopar friend.

I think am Imperial "one-of-none" wagon would be a really cool way to build a cool and unique "C"-wagon. Whatcha think?

Go for it!!!!

Wait a minute.......is this by chance the same guy who was holding a complete wagon hostage and wanted to sell the carcass after robbing the drivetrain a couple of weeks ago? I believe he misidentified it as a Chrysler wagon too.

Nope, that was a "C"-body Plymouth wagon back East somewhere.

Agree on that orange thing. Some times a car deserves to be crushed. This is one of those times.

I've thought about doing exactly what you've suggested and propose two alternatives. Given that the T&Cs all had horizontal tail lights, as an homage to the '74 NY, as mentioned, I think starting with a Plymouth Gran Suburban will give you a better chance to integrate the vertical tail lights into the quarters, since it was the only "C" with vertical lights. The other thing that appealed to me was that the GS I/P is the only "C" with a factory il pressure gauge.

If you're intent on staying with a T&C host, you might have an easier time integrating the tail lights of a ' 72 or '73 Imperial. Those cars already have the dip in the quarter panel line above the tail lights and I think would require less bodywork to pull it off.

Just my .02
Can we go back to this where you say the Plymouth "Gran" Suburban.
Gran Suburban? You mean Sport Suburban, right??
And what's this about an oil pressure gauge? Can't find one thing about it.

Can we go back to this where you say the Plymouth "Gran" Suburban.
Gran Suburban? You mean Sport Suburban, right??
And what's this about an oil pressure gauge? Can't find one thing about it.

images

'72/'73 Imperial tail lights have a much better chance of getting grafted into this quarter panel. The shape is almost there.

A few years ago there was a dark green '74 or '75 wagon for sale on ebay. It had an oil pressure gauge in the i/p. Thought I'd kept the pictures, but apparently not. Anyway, in the full line 1974 Plymouth sales catalogue, the section on trailer tow mentions it and implies that an oil pressure/temperature gauge is part of the trailer tow package, which the order guide denies. It is available as a stand-alone option, though - F96
And it's shown on page 8-80 of the '74 CP service manual.

Where did you look?

Yes, smart ***, I meant Sport Suburban.

Back