Bumper Jacks

bollotti

Reaction score
are bumper jacks pretty standard across the c body range, or are there specific ones for certain years? I am looking to purchase one for a 72 Fury, so would be useful to know what year range I can look for when searching. Thanks

The jacks are pretty universal but the hooks are bumper specific. I'd only carry one for factory appearance, not to actually use - buy a small hydraulic for that.

For the 72 Fury you will need the unit that has a little stub in the front to slide into a slot on your bumper. I will get a pic today of one i have available, cheers.

upload_2019-3-1_8-51-41.png

wow, a whole new world of bumper jacks..............:lol: I really should get out more

are bumper jacks pretty standard across the c body range, or are there specific ones for certain years? I am looking to purchase one for a 72 Fury, so would be useful to know what year range I can look for when searching. Thanks
I got several. Just got one in from a 71 Chrysler

The jacks are pretty universal but the hooks are bumper specific. I'd only carry one for factory appearance, not to actually use - buy a small hydraulic for that.

Absolutely, get a flat on a rear wheel and use the factory jack to get the wheel high enough to clear the wheel well when you pull it off. I did it once at the side of a sloped road and never again. I love my hydraulic jacks. I have two one is a real short guy that will fit nicely between the road and the axle tube when the tire is flat. I use it to raise the axle enough to put my bigger jack under to change the wheel. Once I had to use all three, the little guy to make room for the big guy and the factory jack to raise just the body enough to get the inflated tire into the wheel well. Remember, flat tires never happen on flat, dry roads!!

This might be a result of your local security settings, even with my highly restrictive settings at work I have no problem with this link.

Alan
Try clicking on the pictures though. That's where I got the same error, but then I reload the page, and it works fine. Somethings awry.

I have a 7 ton hydraulic Jack, but could not find a strong central point to raise both wheels off the ground high enough at the same time, so had to do one side at a time. I prefer not to do this, as I think just raising one wheel twists the body. That's why I was looking for a bumper jack to get both wheels up at the same time

I think just raising one wheel twists the body. That's why I was looking for a bumper jack to get both wheels up at the same time

That's why I prefer to lift the axle with a bottle jack, the body is still happily sitting on the springs. However, lifting one corner using a factory jack on the bumper is more likely to cause body twist, bent bumper or just break your leg when the car shifts and kicks out the jack. Factory jacks are really dangerous.

I will have a closer look tonight to see if I can find a strong central point. I had even considered using something like a sleeper across both jacking points and jacking in the middle. Holding the weight of the vehicle on axel stands balanced on those rear jacking points does not fill me with confidence.

Lifting on the axel is fine for working under, but no good when you are trying to hang axel as low as possible

A factory jack is designed to lift only one corner at a time, if you want such a jack to work on the middle of the bumper and lift the entire end of the car up then even only a slight amount of pressure will cause it to topple over. I say don't even attempt it, this is a very dangerous scenario. The proper jack for your year of car will only fit into predetermined slots already in the bumper as it is and they are at the four corners only.

A 2 ton floor jack is what I use. It small enough to put in the trunk and alot safer than a bumper jack in my opinion.

For show only I presume?
Most any scissor jack in a late model car is better that those old fall over bumper jacks. Good sometimes to slide your car back on to the gravel shoulder instead on in mud/grass. Jack it high enough and push it over toward the road, back underway!

If you have fender skirts (even after they are removed)or smaller rear wheel openings I use a 2 ton low profile trolley jack at the front spring perch/frame torque box.
I always carry pieces of wood and under the jack's wheels on asphalt and soft ground.
Lets the axle hang for a better chance to handle the tire out of the wheel house.

I have my original bumper jack in the trunk for show--and also for a long prybar!

Have a complete jack from a 68 Town & Country. The hook # is 2856 122 cannot find that # on Nicks site or here, any idea if this is correct? Will be putting it up for sale once I ID it. Thanks

Back