Busted Differential Housing

Ripinator

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Like many of us preparing to get their cars ready for Carlisle, I've been at it with mine too. However, all my hopes were dashed yesterday when my mechanic discovered the left rear wheel bearing had exploded and destroyed the race and part of the differential housing where the bearing resides. So. . . the car won't be at Carlisle this year, because the housing cannot be repaired, and I need another housing altogether. However, I'll be there Saturday hoping to find another differential housing. Very dissapointed. . .

Wow sorry to hear about all the troubles FCBOer's are having getting their rides to the show. Hopefully you will find what you need there and get her back on the road. It's almost like they don't want you going and seeing all the good looking cars....jealousy is a trait with our cars ask Christine

Big bummer!! Sorry to hear that Rip. Hope you find another otherwise I know a guy in Tifton...

Like many of us preparing to get their cars ready for Carlisle, I've been at it with mine too. However, all my hopes were dashed yesterday when my mechanic discovered the left rear wheel bearing had exploded and destroyed the race and part of the differential housing where the bearing resides. So. . . the car won't be at Carlisle this year, because the housing cannot be repaired, and I need another housing altogether. However, I'll be there Saturday hoping to find another differential housing. Very dissapointed. . .
That truly sucks. Glad you're coming anyhow.

All the nightmares I have been hearing about have convinced me I did the right thing not pushing to bring an Imperial this year... but the place is short on 74s so far.

You're one of the few I've heard of that have replicated that feat of mine. Did mine about 20 years ago and was lucky enough to have a spare in a parts car. Still not a fun job, but definitely not a quick one. Good luck.

Just before I left for Carlisle last Friday, I saw a For Sale ad from Wolfen. It was for a complete third member drum to drum - differential and all. It was for a later C-Body, but I thought it would work for me. However, according to Gary (Wolfen), it is a couple of inches too wide. BUT sez he: "I got a '68 housing with axles that is a perfect replacement for your busted '66."

So. . . On Sunday - after Carlisle - I jumped in the truck and headed on down to North Carolina to pick up the '68 housing. Here it is, in all its glory with the HD springs I got from Wil the day before at Carlisle:

DSCF2197.JPG

Looks like I just might be back on the road by the end of the week. A big shout out goes to Gary for stepping in to help me in my time of desperate need. Thanks again, Gary!

Now that is a coinkydink. When I told you about ruining the one in my 65 Polara, it was repaired/replaced by a rearend from a 68 Newport. Still in there, in fact.

Just before I left for Carlisle last Friday, I saw a For Sale ad from Wolfen. It was for a complete third member drum to drum - differential and all. It was for a later C-Body, but I thought it would work for me. However, according to Gary (Wolfen), it is a couple of inches too wide. BUT sez he: "I got a '68 housing with axles that is a perfect replacement for your busted '66."

So. . . On Sunday - after Carlisle - I jumped in the truck and headed on down to North Carolina to pick up the '68 housing. Here it is, in all its glory with the HD springs I got from Wil the day before at Carlisle:

View attachment 85965

Looks like I just might be back on the road by the end of the week. A big shout out goes to Gary for stepping in to help me in my time of desperate need. Thanks again, Gary!
Thanks mate, I am glad the housing went to a good home and that it is going to be used in a great car, cheers!

Back