Buzzsaw sound?

ideologist

Reaction score
Has anyone heard a buzzsaw sound before when trying to start their car? I changed over the intake and carb and was testing out the new firing. I had a couple of dry fires, then got it running pretty smoothly. Was running pretty hot right away so I shut it down. Started it a few minutes later and then a buzzsaw sound.

Oil is good, coolant is good, I didn't know if this was a weak starter sound, a weak battery, or something like the engine eating itself

Starter drive going bad?? It does start and run? Change w rpm?

If the starter does not "catch" on the flywheel/flexplate, it will spin wildly. First sign that it is going out.

FWIW.
My brother put a lot of miles on his 68 Charger 383. In three years at 100k it started going through starters. Our local mechanic “Izzy” set the timing by feel, placing his palm on the fender and locking down the distributor. Never put another starter in again. His explanation was the timing chain can stretch and throw timing off enough to wear out starters prematurely. IDK but it worked.

I’m assuming the sound is that of the reluctor not engaging flywheel. Just spins free.
It can also occur in colder climates like right now in Michigan.
Whatever grease and dirt in starter gets real stiff not allowing the reluctor gear to run out and engage flywheel.

I’m assuming the sound is that of the reluctor not engaging flywheel. Just spins free.
It can also occur in colder climates like right now in Michigan.
Whatever grease and dirt in starter gets real stiff not allowing the reluctor gear to run out and engage flywheel.
It was referred to as a bendix drive when I was in the trade

FWIW.
My brother put a lot of miles on his 68 Charger 383. In three years at 100k it started going through starters. Our local mechanic “Izzy” set the timing by feel, placing his palm on the fender and locking down the distributor. Never put another starter in again. His explanation was the timing chain can stretch and throw timing off enough to wear out starters prematurely. IDK but it worked.
I'd believe this, I would think it would kick back, and affect the starter

I was planning to replace the timing belt, it started to squeal. I'll try tightening that or a new belt. Thanks everyone for confirming my thoughts that it was the starter. I didn't want to learn what an RB engine eating itself sounded like

FYI, if you have a weak battery, and or poor connections, you will hear that sound. It is the solenoid on the starter 'buzzing' when you try to start but there is not enough current to spin the starter motor.
jus sayin....

FYI, if you have a weak battery, and or poor connections, you will hear that sound. It is the solenoid on the starter 'buzzing' when you try to start but there is not enough current to spin the starter motor.
jus sayin....
If that’s the case the battery is low, definitely will hear a buzzing sound from the solenoid

too bad we don’t have a video clip to listen to

If that’s the case the battery is low, definitely will hear a buzzing sound from the solenoid

too bad we don’t have a video clip to listen to

I'll record later when I try it again, it caught me off guard so I left it alone yesterday and didn't get back to it this morning, but I'll tinker this evening

Yeah so the starter is toast, if not more damage. The initial whining is my electric fan, then I turn the key for less than a second

Video here:

Sounds like the starder bendix isnt releasing properly or you are holding the key in start too long....or the IGN switch is going bad.

It starts that sound as soon as I turn the key. Swapped batteries no change. Is there a way to troubleshoot the ignition switch or just swap it?

It never sounds good to have that gear destroy itself on the flywheel. Keep in mind it’s usually made of sacrificial metal so it minimizes damage to the flywheel. It’s a weird fact of nature that engines tend to always come to rest in the same basic spot when turned off. This means they also hit the flywheel in the same spot when you crank it over with the key.

Everyone knows that one guy with that one car that has to rock it with his foot out the door to get just enough good gear teeth engagement to crank er over. I doubt you did a bunch of damage to the flywheel.

Good luck on the repair.

Back