By pass amp meter

Bill ward

Reaction score
Tryed the bypass alt.output direct to batt. To reduce load on amp meter. Question, while running amp meter showed discharge did I do something wrong.?

Tryed the bypass alt.output direct to batt. To reduce load on amp meter. Question, while running amp meter showed discharge did I do something wrong.?
I’ve always just connected the two wires from the back of the amp gauge together with solderless connectors & heat shrink tubing. Then install a volt gauge. I prefer a digital over analog. You can install it were the amp gauge is. You can wire it to keyed on at the fuse block. But I’m a hot rodder...the purist will cringe

Last edited:
When bypassing the ammeter, it will not read correctly since the bypass has taken 50% of the load away from it.
You did nothing wrong.
As already suggested, install an aftermarket voltmeter if you prefer to monitor the charging system.
Hope this helps

I did the bypass and discovered the very same thing....ammeter showing some discharge. I already had a voltmeter showing good charging voltage, so it didn't concern me and I immediately realized the cause was the bypass mod. Once you get used to the needle's location, it's the "new normal".

Best to just completely disconnect the thing and rid yourself of it. Those ammeters are a dangerous artifact and embarrassment to otherwise superbly engineered cars.

IMG_20190601_184833-EFFECTS.jpg

IMG_20200618_150349.jpg

IMG_20201211_132352.jpg

FB_IMG_1556832615300.jpg

IMG_20190601_184850.jpg

You're welcome

ENVIABLE! Ah well, most folk on this Forum have nicer rides than Mathilda. I drove her home for a net outlay of $1250 5 yrs ago, after the young man who sold her to me reassembled her as best he could from his deceased father's garage. I got her that cheap because I promised the lad (aged ~ 30) that I WOULD respect his dad's car, and with God's help, I've been true to that promise. Now, IFF the Infernal Rectum Screwers will EVER RETURN OUR TAX MONEY AS THEY OUGHT for a couple years worth, I THEN might be able to pretty old Tilly up, and transplant a rebuilt 400 into her too.

You have a nice damned ride all the same bro! Welcome!

Best to just completely disconnect the thing and rid yourself of it. Those ammeters are a dangerous artifact and embarrassment to otherwise superbly engineered cars.
To be precise, disconnect the ammeter but RECONNECT that circuit. I did not do this, as I'm okay with the ammeter. I believe the reduced current through it--due to the Bypass Mod--will let it live another 50 years.

To be precise, disconnect the ammeter but RECONNECT that circuit. I did not do this, as I'm okay with the ammeter. I believe the reduced current through it--due to the Bypass Mod--will let it live another 50 years.

Oh....I also put in a relay for the AC clutch, taking power for the clutch off of the alternator stud. This further reduces the current thru the ammeter (and the AC switch!) by about 5+ amps.

Here's the relay, mounted at the dryer and all-but invisible to "hood open" showings.
IMG_1890.JPG

From the top, this is all you see.
IMG_1886.JPG

Last edited:
We were talking about this mod a while back and these came up. The group generally approves and say they work. I still haven’t bought mine yet but i will sooner or later.

309C2264-4291-40A2-B8AE-E8386E7881A9.jpeg

Cheap and easy way to watch the charging system.

Thank you for your response I don't have a air conditioner except when I put the top down. But I think you just the same.

MY KIND of AC!!! I have to settle for "2-80" AC w my 2 door hardtop alas, but hey!:cutting torches can do wonders if things go wrong in other ways...

We were talking about this mod a while back and these came up. The group generally approves and say they work. I still haven’t bought mine yet but i will sooner or later.

View attachment 479547

Cheap and easy way to watch the charging system.

Depends on if you want to read the voltage from that circuit. Generally a decent reading of whether your alternator is functioning. My meter off the fuse box is no better, reading the same basic bus. One COULD run some #18 AWG right off the charge stud to a meter if one wanted a slightly better reading I reckon, but I don't think its worth it.

Back