Not open for further replies.

Mike McGuire

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Contact seller
Yep,

Chrysler Building, a Famed Slice of Manhattan Skyline, Is on the Block

Time to dig deep.
I figured... If we each chipped in a million bucks, and there were a thousand of us, we could collectively scoop up the Chrysler building and make it a 24-7 Mopar parts swap location. Maybe convert some of the floors to make a parking garage, and maybe a sonic or Burger King, etc. On second thought, maybe that's too optimistic...besides I don't have a million bucks... Perhaps 100 million of us each cough up $100... That's more like it. More likely to rustle up $100, given the right amount of time.

Anyway,... Food for thought, enjoy your day.

One of my most favorite architecture buildings in NYC!

I'm in!

:thumbsup:

TOO MANY of those iconic NY buildings have been gobbled by Chinese and Saudi conglomerates as their trophies, which I hope doesn't happen again here, thankfully most are historically landmarked..........

mario-gif.gif

Im in!

TOO MANY of those iconic NY buildings have been gobbled by Chinese and Saudi conglomerates as their trophies, which I hope doesn't happen again here, thankfully most are historically landmarked..........

Erected in 1930, modern business conditions have caught up with the building, owned by the Abu Dhabi Investment Council and New York developer Tishman Speyer, according to CNBC.

Too late... The New York developer only holds a 10% stake in it. He sold 90% in 2008 for $800 million.

If you could buy it for $1Billion and it will likely go for a bunch more, all you get is the building. The dirt it sits on is leased for 40 million a year.

Kevin

....wonder if they left any of the machining in there .....lets start reproducing the old girls

The Chrysler Building was the first fully-air conditioned skyscraper. WPC got Chrysler engineers to design/build it. The start of AirTemp.

Who owns the dirt it is on?

CBODY67

When I first moved to New York in 2005, my first job was located there, I worked in the building for about four years. It was an absolute pleasure to work at such a historical location. The lobby is still authentic to its original design, as are the elevator cars of which are all original with I believe between 9 and 11 different types of woods from around the world that adorn the elev walls . It’s absolutely gorgeous in there. WPC Had an apartment / penthouse on the 69th floor I believe.. there was also a Social Club on the 65th floor or so, call the “Cloud Club” for the New York socialite elites.. in the basement are all the old artifacts from his penthouse and the Club in crates lining the hallway.. I’d go back to work there in a heartbeat.. I also remember the lobby floor being sloped down on the south side on 42nd street to accommodate cars that WPC use to have in the lobby. He would display the new model years in there.. the lobby doors on that side Still open double wide so the cars could’ve driven in.. awesome build..

At the time the building was built, there was only ONE other building of close to the total height in NYC AND that building's owners took pride in "the tallest". Near the end of construction of the Chrysler Building, the other building's owners were feeling better about their claim to fame being safe.

So the story goes, inside of the main spire on the top of the building, when it was installed, was an inner spire that was locked into place. One night, WPC and key operatives returned to "the roof" and removed those locks and the inner spire was extended via internal springs. THAT made the Chrysler Building the "Tallest Building in NYC at the time". So that other building's owners awoke to news that their claim to "the tallest" was no more. I don't recall where I read that, but it was kind of like WPC's "secret weapon" of sorts in order to get that claim to fame for such a beautiful building. It's great that the building has been maintained in its original lobby condition!

WPC's childhood home is also available for tourists. Pretty neat, as I understand it.

On a related note, the original General Motors Building in Detroit (on Grand Avenue) is now a unit of The State of Michigan and re-named "Cadillac Place". Across the steet is the Fisher Building, which was built by the Fisher Brothers (of Fisher Body fame). The lobby areas have been restored in (apparently) period-correct orientation. It houses (or did house, when a friend and I walked in there one Sunday morning in the early 2000s, on the way back to the airport) a theatre and many other offices. Pretty neat!

Then we went on out to the Ford Estate (an operating unit of the Univ of MI) and walked around. Pretty neat, too! Especially the relationship of Henry Ford and Thomas Edison. Then, we flew back to DFW.

CBODY67

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back