C Body Disc Brake Conversion Kit by Dynalite

SF-66TC

Reaction score
Just browsing through PST's Summer 2018 Catalogue and I came across this kit.

It's a C Body Disc Brake Conversion Kit using Wilwood's new Pro-Series Front Hub Kits for Chrysler, Dodge & Plymouth 1965-1972 C Body vehicles with drum brakes; 11" rotors, new forged aluminum hubs and 4 piston Wilwood Calipers.

This may be an alternative to the much sought after, but hard to find Factory '73 Spindle, the more plentiful Factory '69-'72 Spindles OR conversion kits from ECI, Master Power, Scarebird or SSBC.

2018-09-28 16.18.33.jpg

2018-09-28 16.18.46.jpg

Last edited:
They've had it for a couple of years. I was going to go that route just to get rid of the BUDD brakes.

In the end I used the BUDD spindle, modified a MKZ rotor and made my own caliper bracket. Went with the Forged dynalite narrow calipers. Now that the pads are breaking in it stops very well.

I have some 69-72 spindles that I'm going to list for sale if anyone is interested.

In the end I used the BUDD spindle, modified a MKZ rotor and made my own caliper bracket. Went with the Forged dynalite narrow calipers. Now that the pads are breaking in it stops very well
In all honesty, Bill, I thought that Rube Goldburg mixing of parts would never work. You did good.
FWIW, how did you figure out that the MKZ rotor could be modified to fit the Budd spindle.

In all honesty, Bill, I thought that Rube Goldburg mixing of parts would never work. You did good.
FWIW, how did you figure out that the MKZ rotor could be modified to fit the Budd spindle.

It all started here;

Mike Pittinaro's Supra Rotor Conversion for (Chrysler) Imperial Budd Brakes

Then in a ironic twist of fate someone was selling a set of rotors and pads on craigslist for $35. I looked up the numbers and they were for an MKZ. Interestingly the site that had the information about the rotors was Rockauto. It gave the fitment and also the numbers. I recalled the specs from the Pittinaro's hack. And other than being wider than I needed, the measurements were closer to budd meaning less modification to factory parts.

Once I got fed up with the BUDD calipers, I looked at Wilwood. Looking at their numbers and some quick measurements I determined that the narrow dynalites gave me the room to machine a bracket to fit it in to the factory opening on the spindle, while still bolting to the factory budd through hole locations.

I spent about two weeks turning a 2 foot long x 1.75"x1.75" piece of 6061 T6 into two 8"x.82" brackets. It took splitting it down the middle, and then drilling the holes, reaming to size, using stainless threaded inserts to get the job done. I learned how not to do it three times before I ended up with a proper bracket that lined up correctly, plumb, square.

Would I do it again? Maybe.

If I replace the rotors again, I have since found 2005 Crown Vic rotors are even closer to budd measurements still, but they're too wide to fit the budd or my current opening on the calipers. In my case that's ok because I can use a spacer to make the Wilwood calipers wider.

It was right after Mike's conversion effort, that a group of Imperialists approached Dura-Brake, asked them to do a "run" of rotors, who seems to be still producing them.

Part numbers are appreciated for those of us on the other side of the pond.. Hoping Wilwood UK/Europe will know what I'm on about, since carriage from the USA is going to be killer!

Back