C body fenderwell headers

Anybody ever come across c body 383 fenderwell headers? Zak

In terms of current production, TTI makes under chassis headers only and they are about it. Back in the day, there were fender well headers for the '65-'66 Fury but the splash guards/fenderwells had to be removed to run them and they were a race only application mostly for the 426/440 wedge engines. I think Doug Thorley might have been the ones that made those headers but they have not been on their product list for years. You could try contacting their customer service to see if they might still have the patterns, but I doubt it.

Dave

Last edited:
i never heard of such a thing, and found these - Vintage Mopar Headers | eBay

i dont think these are for a 383 tho. but i bet there are some. somewhere. interesting design to me - they floated 1 tube totally its completely by itself.

thorley-headers-360.jpg

I test fit a set of Hooker A body (Big Block) fenderwell headers on my 65 Sport Fury. They basically dumped right onto the frame. They would have needed about 8-10 inches added per side to work. I would think that the TTI headers would be the best thing for a big block C body.

Last edited:
i never heard of such a thing, and found these - Vintage Mopar Headers | eBay

i dont think these are for a 383 tho. but i bet there are some. somewhere. interesting design to me - they floated 1 tube totally its completely by itself.

View attachment 343056

Those are for a small block (center ports shaped differently), but I seriously looked at doing some for my car.
It would make clutch linkage service a real bear, and by the time a guy had custom headers made, and a hydraulic clutch, I was thinking it would be around a 3K job.

The cheap way out that I have gathered the parts for, will come out the collector, take the C body 90 degree turn in front of the cross member, and exit out the front part of the front door.

I'm using 3.5" off the collector and all the way out to the cap, should be a pretty fair collector extension, and make opening the exhaust less work than dropping the whole system.

JEGS 30753: Exhaust Cutout 3-1/2" | JEGS

One of our late Mopar Club members had a '64 Dart GT 273/235 that he had put some fenderwell headers on back when they were popular. I was amazed at how much metal had to be removed from the inner fenders on that car! YIKES! Much more of a "race only" situation, rather than a hot street car, to me.

Header science ahs come a long way since back then! But if you're handy with a welder (for tacking and then full-welding) and have lots of time and patience, you can get a set of U-bends and some header flanges and build your own custom set. Time consuming, but it'll keep you out of trouble (with that project) for a good while. You'll need a chop saw, too.

My gut suspicion is that a good set of modern headers will fit better with less modifications AND be much more "livable" than the old fenderwell headers. AND make the same or more power, too.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Back