C Body gas tanks

RagTop66

Reaction score
I have a 1966 Polara. I’ve found gas tanks for it on eBay. I’ve also found that Dorman makes a gas tank that says it fits a 1965 Polara. My question is, will that tank fit my car? I didn’t think there was much difference between the ‘65 and ‘66 Polara body wise. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Ok, I see it now, but my question remains about interchangeability. Several sites list a dorman 576-027 as a replacement for a ‘65 Polara but not a ‘66. Has anyone used these or know anything about the interchangeability?
You're getting real specific here, looking for someone who has installed the Dorman version in both a 65 and a 66 Polara to ensure they interchange. The Van's unit is listed as fitting both, both cars are very similar mechanically. Odds are very good that the Dorman unit will work fine as I know of no barriers, however, I have never had the tank out of a 66 Polara and I have never actually purchased a tank manufactured by Dorman..

Waitaminnit here!!! I just checked the Dorman site and your spec tank. It will not be an exact fit on a 65 Polara. It's listed for 65 Dodge, yes, but not 65 Dodge Polara. Read the damn description. It's for B bodies. A 15 gallon tank vs 25 as the 65/6 Polaras used. EDIT: I just rechecked and it does indeed say it fits a 65 Polara - I'd bet that's not correct though, there's lots of changes from 64 to 65 and Dormans site isn't the only one to screw up that variance.

It may work, (read made to hold and transfer fuel), but will in no way approximate an original.

Last edited:
I bought the tank, straps, j-bolts, and grommets from Vans for my 66 Polara.
They sent the wrong inlet seal though...
Everything else was good.

The Vans tank should fit your 65 Polara.

Back