C-body hood rollers

Ghostsoldier

Reaction score
Fellas,

I picked up some 3788198 NOS hood rollers from Martin at Arizona Parts, and according to his website catalog, they're supposed to fit my '75 Monaco...well, when they got here, they turned out to be steel and round....my stock versions are squarish and nylon/plastic.

My question: Are these direct, drop-in better-than-stock replacements, or is there a different part number for the plastic versions?

Thanks,
Rob

The 74's started with the steel rollers. My '76 came the nylon sliders. Unable to give you a specific change over date to the nylon. I've used both. Seemed like I had to grease the steel ones monthly. Went back to the nylon ones.
Yes, two different P/N's.
Yes, they are interchangeable.

(Sent using Forum Runner)

Last edited:
Last edited:

Yeah, that's me over there, too (Ghostbluesman), when I first asked where to by these. I contacted Martin, sent him the part number shown in the diagram, and he sent me the metal ones. He was also wanting to know if there was a difference in the part numbers, so he could update his listings, and I told him I would try you guys, since you've always been super-helpful. :)

What the heck....I figured there might be some one over there (who's not already over here), who might have an insight....I guess the zombies ate 'em all, 'cause that place is deadsville.

I reckon I'll give the metal rollers a shot, and see if they will work....greasing them won't be a problem; I'm just curious how they will react when all that torsion pressure is applied...the nylons seem to be more 'forgiving'.

Rob

Last edited:
I'd love to know if the repro E-body trunk sliders will work.

Steel roller vs. nylon slider?
I think it's only a degree of messiness one wants to put up with.
The steel ones need to roll on a bed of grease.
The nylon ones only need to slide on an oiled surface.

Last edited:
I'd love to know if the repro E-body trunk sliders will work.

I found these on eVilbay...

$(KGrHqZHJCIFC0R1HmOqBQ)VjkNgm!~~60_12.JPG

These fit "63-74 A B C body trunk lid sliders", as per the description...if the center holes are large enough, they just might work.

They don't look much different than the E body versions:

mn1827.jpg

Rob

$(KGrHqZHJCIFC0R1HmOqBQ)VjkNgm!~~60_12.JPG

mn1827.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like one of my originals, except the center hole looks a bit smaller....I'll have to measure mine to see what size it is.

Rob

When you look at the big picture, if one has the steel rollers, I wouldn't consider as if it was the end of the world. I can easily live with either.
There are bigger issues with our cars to worry about.

Yeah, I know you're right, commando...I've got tons of other crap to worry about on this Monaco.

I guess it's just the unknown of how these will actually work; the old ones looked like they were struggling to handle the pressure of the hood whenever I closed it...these new ones give me the impression that they will crush the hell out of my roller channels, before they budge.

Probably not, because other guys use them daily, but it's just me being anal, lol.:D

Rob

Back