C body plant to close

JC68vert300

Reaction score
Stellantis announced it will be idling Bellvidere Assembly by Feb. 2023 For a period of no less tha a year. The Belvidere. Il plant was opened in 1965 to build C bodies: Dodge Polara, Chrysler Town and Country wagons, Plymouth Furys. The plant is on 280 acres and is 5.3 million sq ft.
Jeep Cherokee is currently built there. Stellantis explanation is Covid supply chain issues, slow demand for ICE vehicles and the cost of changing production to all electric. But the replacement for the Jeep Cherokee (electric?) would be built at the Toluca , Mexico facility. Hopefully they will repurpose this plant.

Maybe they should open their eyes and take the blinders off. There is a major global inflation, almost to the point of recession depending upon which economist you want to listen to. This is on top of the shortage of vehicles caused by the recent supply chain issues which has increased the prices to levels that folks who are suffering a big hit due to the inflation can do longer afford. Hey, who am I just a smuck feeling the pain of inflation.

Sorry to hear.
Both my 1970 Fury convertible and my 1971 Fury GT were built at that plant.
In terms of body style, FCA needed to redesign the Cherokee and didn't, so they killed demand.
2014-2022 Cherokee look the same to me.

I know an engineer there, he retired early, didn’t like the changes coming.

Over the years when they tried to "modernize" the styling, the consumers hammered them for it. Remember the ONE year of rectangular headlights? And the t-shirt "Real Jeeps have round headlights"? Only so many things you can do AND maintain the Jeep look, round headlights, fenders, and the number of slots in the grille. Adding the old High Impact colors into the mix did help a bit. In other words, Jeeps can't be refreshed every few years as other vehicles need to be to remain competitive.

Over the years when they tried to "modernize" the styling, the consumers hammered them for it. Remember the ONE year of rectangular headlights? And the t-shirt "Real Jeeps have round headlights"? Only so many things you can do AND maintain the Jeep look, round headlights, fenders, and the number of slots in the grille. Adding the old High Impact colors into the mix did help a bit. In other words, Jeeps can't be refreshed every few years as other vehicles need to be to remain competitive.
They had the same design for 9 years and it closed the plant.
I think they should have gone back to the square body design like this 1999 Cherokee, updated of course
s-l500.jpg

Then they could go back to round body. Then back to square body. Then....

I highly doubt their reasoning of slow demand for ICE vehicles is valid. Maybe slow demand for that particular ice vehicle but not all in general!

Obviously, the "little Jeeps" are not the cash cows that the Gladiator and Grand Wagoneer are? Follow the money. Yet it was those "little Jeeps" and original Cherokees (with Chevy engines, no less) which paid the bills for Jeep for decades, when that was all they had. It was the Cherokee which happened along at the time a bunch of active young professionals bought them for daily use (daily and weekend!) and things progressed from there. All good . . . until a few corporate operatives seemed to get greedy and drive Chrysler into bankruptcy (i.e., Daimler was broke until they got ahold of Chrysler, in "the merger").

Obviously, somebody at Stellantis under-estimated the cost of conversion . . . or they under-estimated some costs elsewhere in the conglomerate, so funds were shifted from Jeep to the other place. Just my gut suspicion. Just like GM shifted money from Oldsmobile to Cadillac to rebuild that division, in the 1980s . . . leaving Olds dealers with lots full of dull, multi-sized Cutlass models to sell against the multiplying import competition (as in Honda, Toyota, Mitsu, etc.).

I hope that Stellantis reactivates the Cherokee plant before too much more damage to the area's economy is done!

FWIW,
CBODY67

The job market in the Belvidere area has been hit hard during covid shut downs.
The plant closing will make things a lot worse for the local residents and affect other small businesses in the area that depend on the Stellantis plant as a source of their income too.
Its a domino effect when big employers leave a community.
If plans to build the Jeep in Mexico is the direction they're taking, I don't see any hope with them starting production anytime soon in Belvidere.
I may be slow to accept the EV movement, but the current hype we are witnessing of the EV revolution is hurting a lot of people except for those at the top of the food chain and the manufacturers seem short cited with their rush to convert everything over to a plug in.

The issue I see is that, with long-time one-brand car dealerships which bring in another brand to sell . . . knowing the dealership only has a total amount of resources . . . that same amount of money must be spread over TWO+ brands rather than the prior ONE brand. Which means less for each brand, as a result. Which also means that profits from both brands will go to help build-up the new brand as the orig brand is sought to be maintained.

To me, the once-proud (and profitable!) Chrysler Group is now part of a larger family in Stellantis. A family of many brands which now has a cash-producer to help fund their other brands, I suspect. Yes, Stellantis allegedly has new EV tech which Chrysler allegedly could not afford on its own, but much of that has yet to be seen.

In this era of the automotive industry, a prevailing orientation is that COMBINATIONS of brands (and their prior companies) is necessary for survival. Which CAN reduce the glow of the individual entity as the glow of the combination increases a bit.

ONE asset which the Chrysler Group brought to the tables was "brands which made money, and lots of it", which made it a target for other, larger entities who were short on cash, at the time. I personally wonder how well Chrysler could have grown in prominence if Daimler had not courted Chrysler in the first place? Even if they had increased their stock dividend a bit to appease Kirk Kerkorian (and his buddy former-Chairman Lee Iacocca) as Chrysler's largest, single stockholder.
Then, my long-time theory is that Bob Eaton did not want Chairman Lee to be back in power, so he courted Daimler to merge with Chrysler in order to shut down that possibility. At a time when Daimler was "cash poor" and had many engineering issues/problems.

In the long run, the "merger of equals" resulted in "The Chrysler-ization of Daimler" rather than what the first appearances of "Daimler takeover" tended to be. It freed-up two Daimler guys to come to Chrysler and be like "Kids in the Candy Store" as they ran Chrysler themselves. Then, when his boss retired, Dr. Z went to Daimler and took a Chrysler SRT8 as his company, chauffer-driven car.

As other former Chrysler super-stars jumped ship to GM when Lutz ended up there. Not to forget Mr. Gilles who now is a very elevated Stallantis product person. With all of that stellar talent, Chrysler could have been great, provided that prior trajectories had been maintained and better-orchestrated/refined.

Being a long-time Chrysler enthusiast, it would have been great to see that happen, as Ford and GM plodded along in their typical fashion, by comparison. Continuing the great product/sales/profit momentum which began when the first round-body Ram fell from the ceiling in Cobo Hall at the new car show in the earlier 1990s. A time when EACH new vehicle introduction resulted in the Chrysler's stock price doubling each time! Those were GREAT times when Chrysler was on an acknowledged roll!! LOTS of smiles on my face, back then, too!!

Chrysler knew that their economic times would not last forever, so they had money socked-away to fund a few generations of new models. Money which Kerkorian wanted a piece of and wanted his good friend Chairman Lee back in power so stock dividends could be increased, even if that might compromise Chrysler's future a bit. From what I read in a few books on the subject, back then.

The interesting part of Iacocca's first book, circa early 1990s, was that he felt that in order to grow, Chrysler needed a global presence (larger than what it was back then) and a European partner. The interesting part of this is that he mentioned FIAT as that best-choice partner. Not for their lackluster products, but for their international distribution network.

When that happened, post-bankruptcy filing, the intelligent Fiat organization let Chrysler re-become the Chrysler it had been during the LH car era. With then-rising star Ralph Gilles leading the way in the area of products and such. Which resulted in the de-Daimlerized Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger getting a suspension retuning which brought back the energetic "Chrysler Feel" that had been numbed-down by Daimler operatives (as it appeared to me). Losing that "appliance feel" that had crept into the chassis, by observation. As the chassis dynamics were very good, just that they did not feel athletic to drive, as in the past, to me.

Yet, under Stallantis and Fiat, the Chrysler Group has and is producing some of their best-ever vehicles, which is fantastic. I just wish they were their own PentaStar, again. As we continue to cherish and glorify the products from A Prior Version of Chrysler Corporation.

Sorry for the length. Happy Holidays!
CBODY67

Last edited:
Sorry to hear.
Both my 1970 Fury convertible and my 1971 Fury GT were built at that plant.
In terms of body style, FCA needed to redesign the Cherokee and didn't, so they killed demand.
fca did redesign the 2023 grand cherokee.
bought 1 for momma last month.
its got a longer nose, wider stance, than our 2019
and, its a 2 row, built in deetriot

20221105_103459.jpg

20221105_104307.jpg

It is sad to see the ICE cars go the way of the horse and buggy -- which they certainly will for the same reasons and potentially with some of the same negative consequences. After all, horses lost their jobs, too, and saw a significant population decline. Not to mention the blacksmiths and horse ranchers and whatever other people were required to deliver horses to market. It's seemingly small compared to automotive factories, but I've a hunch our factories will look similarly small with hindsight.

What I can do about it is keep this old Chrysler on the road.

But... If you get an opportunity to drive a Tesla, do it. Don't be like that guy in 1908 complaining about Henry's pollution machine.

I have driven a Tesla. My sister has had one for three years. She loves it, my nephew loves it. I am unimpressed. It is not imperessive in any way. The wornout VW bugs I drove in the early '70's were more comfortable. If I live long enough to be forced, I hope to have something more enjoyable.
Just my thoughts. Lindsay

Back