C body rallye rims

Fireguyfire

Reaction score
I restored an old dodge pickup a few years ago that had a mishmash of parts on it.
It came with what I think are C body rims on it, which fortunately I was smart enough to keep even though I wasn’t 100% sure what they were from, but I was sure they were Mopar.
Anyways, I would like to restore these rims and get a new set of white line tires on them for a C body that’s in my near future.
The trim rings are there, center caps are fairly neat up but the part I am unsure of is the wider ring that goes around the center cap. On original cars it looks like this area is a goody argent colour, definitely different than the rim itself.
Is that area of these rims painted, or is there a trim ring that covers that area that I am missing?

Any tips or suggestions on cleaning up and restoring these rims would be greatly appreciated!

If you have plastic rings that cover the area that's normally painted argent, your wheels are off of an AMC Matador.

Just eliminate them, and you should have wheels that are the same as a Chrysler product.

Jeff

Around the centre piece the rim is painted argent silver the trim ring covers the black painted rim , the slotted area of rim is chromed .
3F275154-A102-4026-8619-0D1FBA3302F4.jpeg
E91E59AC-4BF2-445E-AB57-18A06513B41D.jpeg
A4E74716-26DB-4659-B3D1-CA6024EAF77D.jpeg

So Is the Chrome center cap and the argent disc surrounding it one big piece, or are they 2 pieces; chrome Center cap and an argent disc that the center cap goes onto?

What welder guy is showing you is the W23 wheel. Brushed trim ring, specific to these wheels. Chrome ring is part of the wheel, Argent paint is part of the wheel with a chrome center bolted to the wheel.
There are variations with a plastic center where the Argent is that was usually the color of the car.

Got it, thanks.
Maybe I can clean mine up and take it for a while until I can track down some proper ones.

I restored an old dodge pickup a few years ago that had a mishmash of parts on it.
It came with what I think are C body rims on it, which fortunately I was smart enough to keep even though I wasn’t 100% sure what they were from, but I was sure they were Mopar.
Anyways, I would like to restore these rims and get a new set of white line tires on them for a C body that’s in my near future.
The trim rings are there, center caps are fairly neat up but the part I am unsure of is the wider ring that goes around the center cap. On original cars it looks like this area is a goody argent colour, definitely different than the rim itself.
Is that area of these rims painted, or is there a trim ring that covers that area that I am missing?

Any tips or suggestions on cleaning up and restoring these rims would be greatly appreciated!
Just so you know, some of the later cars, like the Diplomats, had a plastic applique around the center. They may have been available in a few colors, but I don't know for sure. The ones I have were white and I painted them argent silver.

As said though, most of these rims were painted in this area.

1ycRM9V.jpg

tcjCTUj.jpg

I’ll definitely be on the hunt for a set of these correct rallies if anyone has a set laying around.
My car has the original set of hubcaps, plus an extra full set but I’m definitely going the rallye route.

The W23s were all 15x6 sizes. The similar '77 LeBaron wheels with the body colored insert were 15x7s, from what I've found.

What about what came on the Fury GTs?

Enjoy!
CBODY67

Anybody got some tips on restoring these rims?

Are they all the same? They all have the chrome around the slots? The second wheel in that pile looks like it's all paint, they made those too.

For the wheel with chrome you could sand blast being extra careful with the chrome.

After taping off my chrome band I sanded the areas where rusty, . Cleaned the wheel sprayed the black with semi gloss and sprayed the silver with this ...

Screenshot_20210719-201453_DuckDuckGo.jpg

You'll need to source new center caps ...

That's my finished wheels there .....

20210625_201204.jpg

They are brushed for lack of a better word. Mothers aluminum polish brings them up REAL nice.
Big John posted his 15 x 7 wheels so he uses a brighter , more " shiny" trim ring than the standard 15 x 6 wheel.

I think those are his 15 x 7s.

So I popped the trim rings off and had a good look at the rims; they are all chrome around the slots, the look painted because grass trimming has been done for years around the tires where the sat: they have a thick coat of fine grass mush on them but it looks like they will clean up well.
There is about 50% of the black paint under the trim rings so I’m thinking I got really lucky and actually gave a set of these sitting outside my shop!
Now I just need to upgrade the center caps and restore the rims.

One more question now that I have the old tires knocked off of the rims; the back side of the rims need some TLC as well and I’ve looked but I don’t see any remnants of a paint colour there.
Can anyone tell me what colour the back side of these rims would have been when new?
The inside of the rims where the tire covers are black.

Got my rims restored and I’m thrilled with the results.
I can’t believe how lucky I got in having a set of these laying in my scrap tore/rims pile.
Thanks for all of the advice on restoring them.
I’m now waiting on my new white line tires.

7F11A864-3750-4640-9481-30EEC8F515F4.jpeg

Back