C Body windshield replacement

XenonJohn

Reaction score
I couldn't find a video anywhere on how to do this on a C Body, in my case a 1965 New Yorker, so here goes, I made one in case it helps anyone in the future.

The two professional fitters did not mind me filming them do the main steps. As these skills may die out as people retire I thought it might be good to get this down on video, especially the various clips used to hold on the metal trim and how the trim is released.

They did the job over 2 visits and did not need the work as they were really busy anyway. They were mainly doing it for the fun of tackling something a little different.

Apparently one of the worst nightmare classic car screens to fit is a Triumph Stag by the way.

They did it right by putting sealant inside the window channel. It shouldn’t leak. My installer was sure he didn’t need it as he didn’t use any on rubber truck gaskets. He had to come back and install the sealer around the seal lip to keep the water from wicking beyond the seal and window to the inside.
Also removing the trim is an art without bending it to hell.
Thanks for the video.

Thanks.
I found some tips on the way the side and top trim clips work from watching this video on screen removal from a Plymouth Valiant and assumed mine would be pretty similar. I showed it to the installers to give them some idea how the trim might come off and it did turn out to be helpful as they popped it off without any damage.
What I found interesting was the cord they used was a lot thicker than the nylon curtain cord I have used in the past and seen used by others. I liked they way they fed the cord into the gasket using the nozzle from a caulk gun. The part of the fitting where they pull the cord out to get the rubber lip over the metal edge must have taken them less than 60 seconds to do, they made it look so easy. I need to Google 'DuckOil' now as that was the magic lubricating spray they said they were using, smelled really nice too, I am not sure what it is though.
Valiant screen video:

Great post!!!!!!!!!! Fun and informative to watch; the chrome removal has always been something I've wondered about and recently I went through hell finding someone to install a new windshield on my '61 300G....a restoration shop finally agreed and did wonders! The chrome was their concern but like your team, my guys worked it out.

Nice video....you're right, this is dying art! Those guys are artisans! Thanks for sharing! Nice ride, too!

Good luck with the New Yorker!

Hey guys. Howzit?
So I’m wanting to remove the windshield in my 65 Monaco 2dr HT to access and remove the dash properly.

The glass has some sand pitting and a rock chip that is thankfully not spreading at this time so could be reinstalled but Couple a questions:

1) is correct glass available? Where?
2) is a new proper windshield gasket available? Again where? I’ve checked Steele but they apparently only have a 4dr option!?! Does that sound right?

I dont want to remove current and destroy the existing gasket without new gasket in hand and options (assuming they exist) for glass

thanks all!

Sean

Hey guys. Howzit?
So I’m wanting to remove the windshield in my 65 Monaco 2dr HT to access and remove the dash properly.

The glass has some sand pitting and a rock chip that is thankfully not spreading at this time so could be reinstalled but Couple a questions:

1) is correct glass available? Where?
2) is a new proper windshield gasket available? Again where? I’ve checked Steele but they apparently only have a 4dr option!?! Does that sound right?

I dont want to remove current and destroy the existing gasket without new gasket in hand and options (assuming they exist) for glass

thanks all!

Sean
Hi, these guys had the windshield for my '61 300G and in the correct tint. Classic Auto Glass Catalog - 1925 - 1995 - Windshield Glass, Back Glass, Door Glass, Vent Window Glass and Quarter Window Glass - Vintage Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Plymouth, Chrysler, Dodge, Cadillac, Studebaker (metropartsmarket.com) I bought the gasket from Quirey Quality Design Co. - Antique Auto Parts Manufacturer in Windber (business.site). The glass was reasonable in price and shipped to the installer. Check both these sites. I also needed a rear glass for the G and there are NONE manufactured. John at BIG M in California came to the rescue with a near perfect glass replacement from a yard. He did quite a lot of searching on my behalf and was probably 3 months before I finally got that replacement. He also provided a right quarter window as well. I have always found him very accomodating in parts searches for my cars. Good luck!!

bob

Back