Cable Adjustement or Replacement of Heater Control Valve - Too Much Heat

Sport Fury 67

Reaction score
Hi Guys:
Could you please provide me with your experience with trouble shooting an over abundance of heat in a 1967 Sport Fury, 383 with AC. When the heat lever is in the off position, there is no heat, however, when I slide the lever to just under the "W" in "warm" the heat cranks out and the control valve appears to be full open. If I want just a little heat, I have to open the floor vents and windows to even it out. Can this possibly be an issue with the cable out of adjustment or a heater valve issue?
When I first got it, when you pressed the heat button control, you initially could hear the fluid filling the heater core and gurgling a bit, then it stopped as it filled up. I flushed the whole system and that issue went away.
Do I have to take the console out to get to the heater box, then open that up to expose the cable and the Heater Control Valve? I have bucket seats with a console, so there is limited space to poke around. It has a lot more stuff under the dash than my starter Mopar - a 73 Dart.
Thanks....Steve

This doesn't answer your specific question but my new to me Plymouth didn't have a heater control valve even though it was supposed to. It was gone. My heat was on all the time. And full blast. The specific control valve is kinda hard to find and expensive but I will buy one sometime after I get a few other things done on the car. In the mean time I bought this and installed it and while not convenient it does the job for the time being. You can crack it open slightly and get less heat. My control valve was vacuum operated.
20160625_204712 (1).jpg

I installed a NOS heater valve in my 67 383 with A/C.
Along with it, a new control panel and cables.
Everything installed and adjusted to perfection.

The heat was either OFF or fully ON. I, then too, put in an inline valve.

Years ago I had a leaky heater-control valve soaking the carpet in the passenger footwell. After pricing the big-buck replacement valves, I found out that a 70s-80s Dodge pickup truck in-line design works perfectly spliced into the heater hose IN THE ENGINE BAY. If I remember correctly, it was less than $20 (in stock) at the local parts store. I did have to pirate a slightly longer control cable to reach it. No, it's not in the factory location . . . but if it ever leaks, I won't have to rip out the carpet!

Thank you for all of the wisdom gained through the ages. I have replaced the heater control valve on my 58 and 83 Plymouth's but the price on this bad boy for my 67 made me pause and want to explore other options. Seeing as it is 6 F with a neg wind chill in Chicago, the heat thing is working out. I also suspect the heater core is pumping out some heat when the AC is on, so I hope to kill two birds with one repair.

I consider above Lake Wales the Arctic Zone. There's a reason the first town south of it is named Frostproof.

13-3-9389753.jpg

-17 degrees celsius, and the sea seems to be covered with smoke. Helsinki shore yesterday.

holy mother is that planet earth ? no one should live there. what are yall thinkin?

try not to freeze -

- saylor

Back