Cam, Intake, Carb

Furyus67

Reaction score
67 Fury III 318.
Looking to get a little more power without going too crazy. Talked to Hughes and their recommendation was their Whiplash cam kit (lifters, springs, timing chain), Edelbrock 2176 intake, and Edelbrock 1406 carb.

Pros? Cons? Anything else I would need to change to accommodate those upgrades?

Talked to Hughes and their recommendation was their Whiplash cam kit

Everyone has a different idea of how crazy is too crazy. There is only one Hughes Whiplash tho, so you may want to go over to Youtube and check out some of the video of people who have them. The big block version sounds pretty bada$$. HTH, Lefty71

When I upgraded the engine in my '69 wagon with a 318, I went with the MoPar performance "purple shaft" cam,1406 Edelbrock w/elect. choke, Performer intake and electronic ign. kit. Runs great, excellent driveability and decent mileage.

One thing you don't want to do is destroy your driveability with too much cam.

A heavy car with a small engine, lazy highway gears, and any accessories like air conditioning won't work well with a big cam.

If it were my car, I'd run the Edelbrock performer cam, or the 260H from comp cams, unless they're made of Chinesium. A 340 Auto purple shaft grind would be good as well. A dual plane intake like the LD4B Edelbrock and the 1906 should give you great driveability and power. Remember you'll have an intake port mismatch between the manifold and heads because the intake ports are smaller. A rare find would be the LD4B318. They have the correct sized ports
Before doing all this, I'd take a compression check and make sure the rigs can handle the extra power. Then if you haven't....do a valve job with the cam. Install the recommended valve springs for the cam. Also plan on doing the timing chain.

67 Fury III 318.
Looking to get a little more power without going too crazy. Talked to Hughes and their recommendation was their Whiplash cam kit (lifters, springs, timing chain), Edelbrock 2176 intake, and Edelbrock 1406 carb.

Pros? Cons? Anything else I would need to change to accommodate those upgrades?

If it were me, I'd stay away from the Whiplash. Not because of drivability but because it's engineered for the sound it produces at idle rather than good power characteristics. I'd research more and go for actual power over the choppy idle sound.

A cam like comps 268H would be the bottom of the list for me personally with a small block. They'll get you good power with a very slight idle lope. I'd consider it one step above stock. Again that's just personal opinion.

Thanks for all the insight. Whiplash is a pretty aggressive idle for a cruiser. It seems like everyone is running straight pipes with this cam on youtube, trying to get the big muscle car sound.

@Newport 66 thanks for your note. That gives me another cam to check out. Do you have a clip of your car running?

Back