Can Anyone tell me how this trim piece comes off?

Not Right

Reaction score
Hi. I recently rescued this poor old '68 Suburban. It's going to be a while before restorations and modifications can begin. I hadn't planned on anymore children, but what can you do except love them all! It is having to sit outside while I am building a stall for it. In the meantime, I am also working on fixing the few rain leaks. The Big Side Windows are a major source of leakage as the sealants and gaskets have degradated and shrunk. The arrow in the fuzzy photo (sorry bout that) is pointing at the inch tall trim strip that runs along the top edge of the glass and right beneath the Gutter trim. Is that piece of trim worked/removed from the exterior of the car or from the interior? What kind of clips? etc., etc.. What do I need to be careful of? I need to get underneath this trim to apply Black Sealant to where the Channel-to-Glass gap is. Thanks for any help you guys may offer. -Not Right
InkedIMG_20190204_245529031_LI.jpg

Well its long winded, hand on: There maybe similarities between 68/69. On a 69, The "C" pillar to the rear of the rear door, between the rear door glass and 1/4 window appears to have trim over the 1/4 glass front side seal or right side of the window ? If so, then does the top trim piece lap under the right side trim piece. If this is the case, then there maybe in the top left corner a super sized tee nut that holds the trim on. You will need to remove the interior top window and right side trim (directions based on looking in) and the right side to access the retaining nuts. Once opened remove the nuts from the top and side. The side trombone should with minimal force pull straight away from the seal.
Then the mastic/ sealer along the top of the trim can be removed, it will be dry and agressively adhered to the metal trim, be patient in digging it out. When I removed these pieces on my 69, I used a combination of a knife, narrow wood chisels and screw drivers to dig it out, and heat as a last resort. The sheet metal and trim is fragile, it will bend much easier than you think. Once all the sealer is removed, I think it was a slide foward to disengage the top left tee nut, the trim piece fits into the top portion of the seal under a lip, it does not pull straight out, rather down and out with a sliding motion. Hope yhis helps removed mine over 30 years ago, hope to reinstall them this summer finally. PM if this is clear as mud if needed. hope a 68 owner will respond as well.

Dear Wonderwagon, I thank you very much for your advice. I have printed out your reply and will use it as a guideline for working on my '68. When I saw you forewarn me of a long winded answer, I knew I had some good advice headed my way. Nothing is ever simple and most people can't be bothered to take the time and the thought-power to actually write down what they know or want to suggest. So, I thank you for your generous contribution towards my project. I'll let you know what happens...it may be a few weeks but I'll get to it (famous last words). -Not Right

Back