can someone here help me? Doors won't stay shut

Reaction score
I am having problems with my 1960 Phoenix,the passenger side door won't shut anymore. I tried rotating the wheel and it just "free wheels" it doesn't lock anymore.
Before it would do that once in a while but you could rotate the star with you finger and it would latch again.
I tried using some PB blaster on the star,but it didn't do anything.

I would truly appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Your latch may only need lubrication and adjustment but it could also have damaged/worn out parts.

There are actually two sets of tumbler-gears on the latches.

The visible one may look to be in perfect condition, but, you will only be able to see the inner/hidden one's condition after you remove the latch assembly from the door.

I suggest that you remove the latch for better inspection and be prepared to replace it if needed.

Just be slow and patient. You'll need to remove everything window crank, arm rest, lock button... Get a set of these tools too. They will let you apply pressure from behind the panel.

image_16103.jpg

Trim And Molding Tool Set 5 Pc
Most auto parts store should have some of these.

Thanks KcImperial and Live4theKing,I will order those tools so I don't damage the panels. I tried to spray the star with PB blaster but it didn't get it working. The rear doors latch fine,it's just the passengers side that wont shut at all and the driver door has to be slammed.

Did you ever figure this problem out? I finally got the passenger door open on our 67 Newport wagon and now the star spins freely and won't stay shut. I have the panel off and can remove the latch mechanism but what am I looking for?

Back