Can't find part numbers for trim 67 newport

swisherred

Reaction score
Ok...so I found some parts online for sale and the guy selling refuses to send pictures. I cannot find the part numbers in the books to confirm what they are. Can someone help?

2809651 L FENDER EXTENSION MOLDING or possibly 2582567
2809664 RF UPPER FENDER MOULDING or 2785218

2809666 RF FENDER FRONT LOWER MOULDING or 2785220
THANK YOU

Last edited:
You may have already looked here. Section 23 in the illustration section. P/N follows the illustration page. IF using an online version it is quicker to go to the A/C accessories section and scroll backwards as Chrysler is the last after about 50 page of Plymouth and Dodge.
Molding is the worst. As sometimes the individual part had a different number than the molding package which usually includes the clips. And it seems almost impossible to find the individual piece number in the book.

You may have already looked here. Section 23 in the illustration section. P/N follows the illustration page. IF using an online version it is quicker to go to the A/C accessories section and scroll backwards as Chrysler is the last after about 50 page of Plymouth and Dodge.
Molding is the worst. As sometimes the individual part had a different number than the molding package which usually includes the clips. And it seems almost impossible to find the individual piece number in the book.
That's exactly what I'm running into....moulding pkg....not individual numbers. I've been through the book and found them...but not the numbers referenced above.

That's exactly what I'm running into....moulding pkg....not individual numbers. I've been through the book and found them...but not the numbers referenced above.
Add to that the tidbit that the casting numbers on the actual piece rarely translate to an actual part number.....

Add to that the tidbit that the casting numbers on the actual piece rarely translate to an actual part number.....

Plus that you really need a '67 or a few years later price book to track part number changes, if there were any.

There might be some cases where a molding was available individually and then the same item was sold in a "pkg" with the retainers, but I kind of doubt it. That would generate the need for more warehouse space and complexity for the manufacturer and dealer. Best to sell them as "pkg" and be done with it, all things considered.

When I was chasing the elusive Monaco 500 "500" emblems a while back, it became clear that the items in the illustrations did not have a similar group listing in the parts number/application section. Apparently in the Chrysler book, you'd need to find an EXACT illustration of what you needed to find the part number?

Don't understand the non-supply of pictures of what is for sale. If the seller has a computer and digital camera or cell phone, it should be doable with a little additional effort. Be that as it may.

In general, as these pieces can be highly model year specific, the "28" series part number would be for a '68 model year, the "25" series number for a '65 model year, and the "27" series number for a '67 model year. As the "first model year used", but if it's used on later model years and a part number for that later model year happens, the later model year would be indicated by the super-ceded part number for the later model year.

Unless you can do a visual of what's for sale, having a way to track any possible part number changes can become important, IF you're relying upon part numbers to determine the correctness of the part you seek to purchase for matching the numbers in the parts book. Which is where the price book comes in handy as that's where the part number changes were noted. Plus the "NS1 parts that had been discontinued, at that time.

Hope this helps,
CBODY67

651.JPG

664.JPG

666.JPG

664 and 666 are for Newport Custom only.

Jeff

I know what ones they are. I'll post details later this evening. Have to get back to work now.

So Jeff, where are these secret part numbers found if they are not in the parts book? I have a wheel well trim that is in the same situation. The guy doesn't have the P/N in the book, but has a different P/N that says it is the same.
3004401 LR wheel molding (23-23-39) some how is crossed over to 2839899 which seems to be an older number. Trim is so fun.

So Jeff, where are these secret part numbers found if they are not in the parts book?

I was afraid someone was eventually going to ask this question. You're going to make me reveal my trade secrets here.

The big secret is that I use collision estimating guides that were printed by either Mitchell or Motor. It's so much easier to look up parts in these books than in the factory parts manuals. They don't list every part on the car though, just the stuff that's likely to be damaged in a collision. When you get into cars that had different colored parts, such as body side mouldings with color-keyed vinyl inserts, they will only show the part number for black. If you decide to look into buying one of these books, be careful of the older Motor books, because they only list the part prices, and not the part numbers. I've had a stack of these books since I was in automotive trade school back in 1986. The school had too many of them and the teacher said we could take some home if we would like. I was able to find books to cover Mopar from 1970 through the early eighties, and have been using them ever since. They are great to bring to Carlisle to look up parts that we find at the swap meet if we're not sure what they fit, especially outside mirrors, which the bases may only vary slightly from one model car to another. The part numbers are quite accurate, and usually if there is a mistake, you'll find the same mistake in the Chrysler parts manual. They also list prices at the time, which can make you sick if you forget to account for inflation. For example, the fancy trim panel that goes between your tail lights was $38.60 in 1973. The wheel opening moulding you are looking into was $5.82, with screws. There's not a lot of the old collision books out there, as they were updated often and the old ones thrown out. I took a look on ebay, and there is one that's almost exactly like the one I use the most. It's just two months newer than mine. 1976 Mitchell Collision Estimating Guide Chrysler Plymouth Dodge Part Numbers | eBay

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I recently acquired some more collision books that go back a bit further. They are the loose leaf versions, which were also available at the time. If you find one that was used for a while, it may have some superseded part numbers written in.
IMG_6620.JPG

Sometimes they will have helpful tips on listings that aren't clear.
IMG_6621.JPG

As far as your superseded wheel opening moulding goes, that's a tougher challenge to solve. It appears that just about all Chrysler wheel opening moulding part numbers were eventually superseded. I suspect Chrysler had a high volume supplier for wheel opening mouldings when the cars were in production and switched to a low volume supplier for replacement mouldings sometime after production ceased for cars using that particular part number. I'm guessing that when they changed vendors for the part, the part number would change. The Mitchell book above was printed in 1973, so it's no surprise that it lists the new part number. I have a Chrysler parts manual printed in March of '69 and I was surprised to see the new number is in that book too. The original part number would have started off with 28, because Chrysler's part numbers loosely correlate to the year they were introduced: 28xxxx in 1968, 29xxxx in 1969, etc. The only way to check that number for sure is to find a Chrysler part supersession book or find a parts manual or collision book printed before the part number was changed. I tried Googling it and came up with zip.

Jeff

Thanks for the info. Now I am going to have to keep my eyes open. Based on what I see above I would need a 1975 or earlier book to pick up ‘68.
My parts book is a fairly early edition from December 1967, Superseding September 1967. There are a few stars indicating a p/n was changed or added.

I have part books from 1929-2012 for cars and trucks. Some are the OEM books, crash books (like Mitchell and Mopar) and on a CD for the 1982-2012 years. I also have COS books (Cancelled, Obsolete, Superseded) books from Mopar...these list changes in part numbers. Some of these I have for sale. I can also look up part numbers for you if you need help.

IF the part you are looking for is an assembly (parts pkg...example: lens/gasket) then the # on the lens is not the # in the part book. Die cast parts with a part # on them are usually not in the part book. Die cast nameplates are usually stamped with a valid #. Stainless and aluminum trim typically come without numbers on them so you need to have a part book to determine the #.

Using Google you can put a part # in this way: 3691450 mopar. This is a casting # and not the part #. You will see that there are 3 references to it. This also shows you the correct # and what it fits. This method will show you posts on forums, E-Bay and in inventories of those that are selling parts.

USE these 2 parts locators for finding parts!!!! You will need part numbers for them. Use both the number in the part book and the casting numbers.

www.partsvoice.com

www.rearcounter.com

Back