Car Stereo Mounting Ideas

bajajoaquin

Reaction score
I'd like to have more of a radio than an AM unit that is in my Imperial. But my radio is factory original, with the auto-seek function, electric antenna, and separate rear volume all working and in good condition. So I don't want to cut anything up or move it away from stock in a way that can't be recovered easily.

There are speaker grilles on the package shelf, so I won't have to cut there. They look like 6x9s, so if I can pull the original speakers, and replace without cutting, I will (saving the originals, of course).

One option is to get a cool gadget that sits inline between the antenna and the radio, and allows you to run an iPod or other device. Cool, but I want radio. It's also $150 plus shipping.

Another option is to buy a stereo and mount it somewhere outside my dash. The glove box is out, because I'm not reaching over six feet to change it. And I don't want to cut up my glove box. The dash is out, because I'm not pulling factory radio.

Is there a chassis I can buy, and put some sheet metal screws into the underside of the dash? It would be unobtrusive and I wouldn't worry about some sheet metal screw holes.

I also thought about a small console, maybe carpeted with reproduction carpet to match my car, also held in place with a couple sheet metal screws. But the wiring would have to route weirdly up into the dash.

Another question is how hard is it to access the antenna, speaker, and power wires? I've heard getting the dash off is a royal pain in the behind. Is this part of it any more accessible?

Another option would be to send your original radio out and get it converted to AM/FM with all modern circuitry including provision for iPod. I did this to my original AM/FM in my '65 and it works great. There are a number of companies advertising this service in Hemmings. I used a company in MA but I cannot remember the name. If I remember correctly, the unit is now 45W x 4. I'm only running two speaker in my system as my 'vert only has speaker provisions in the dash and between the rear seats and I was not interested in adding additional locations. I retrofitted 6x9's in both locations.

Yes, that's an option I had left out. I don't know why I was biased against it, but it sounds like you're happy. May I ask what it cost you?

Also, I wonder if that will work with my auto-seek function.

Yes, that's an option I had left out. I don't know why I was biased against it, but it sounds like you're happy. May I ask what it cost you?

Also, I wonder if that will work with my auto-seek function.

I can't find my receipt but I think it was around $299. I'm not sure on the auto-seek; you'd have to ask.

The radio in my 70 300 was converted by the owner before me and it works very well.

Yes, the "auto-seek" still works.

In the past six months or so, there has been an improvement in the electronics used. It's supposed to be quite a bit better.

Here's the site of the people that make the conversion. There's a list of dealers there somewhere.
http://www.radiosforoldcars.com/stereoF.htm

These guys did the conversion in mine. http://www.retroradio.biz/

One other thing, if you do the conversion, spend the extra few bucks and have them wire "pre-amp" connections so you can add a good amplifier or bass speaker and amplifier later.

Are there AM/FM car radios these days that operate with a hand-held remote? I don't know which is why I'm asking.

Glenn

i just sent a couple of radios for my 66 Charger to http://www.turnswitch.com/ for the conversion. the guys there were awesome in answering my questions, sending me pictures. It's not cheap. But i didnt want to cut up the dash on my charger. I sent them a couple of radios in hopes that one of the 2 radios EL works. They are going to use the best parts of each radio, knobs and faceplate, etc. I am going to get an aux jack, 4 pre-amp speaker outputs and a sub pre-amp output. I am debating on getting the bluetooth add on so I can stream music from my galaxy s4. most of the places doing the conversionare getting the "kit" from the same place. So it then comes down to service and the guys @ http://www.turnswitch.com/ have been great.

Yes, now that you mention the "kit" I see the common language on a lot of the websites. I'm guessing that Retro Radio makes the kit, which is why they're so eager to list other companies who do the work.

There's one in San Diego, so that's good advice to look for service.

I don't know if you have a console or not (I don't), but I used a marine stereo box on mine. I fabbed some brackets for it and bolted it to the floor well up under the dash on the trans hump. Although not completely "factory" looking, it's pretty inconspicuous down there. As a bonus, when the shaded face is closed you can't see that modern head unit. For speakers, I went with 6x9 under the factory package shelf in back, an used a bracket made by a guy over on FBBO that lets you mount 2- 3-1/2" speakers into the single factory dash opening in the center. I also tucked a small amp and sub box in the trunk up above the rear wheel house hump, in front of the spare tire. All in all, sounds pretty darn good for the small investment, and you have to really look to find any of it.

That's kind of what I had in mind. Rather than on the trans hump (that sounds so dirty), I was thinking upside down, hanging from under the dash. I'm kind of torn, though. I just got off the phone with Bob's Radio and Television in Central California, who came recommended by several Imperialists. He can get AM/FM, AUX and even fully functioning Bluetooth all in my factory head unit. He can keep the separate rear volume knob working factory, as well as the foot-operated search knob (which will work on AM as well as FM). So everything on my dash will work as original. That's really attractive.

But it's also going to cost at least $550, not including speakers.

If I go with the marine enclosure, I can buy a stereo, an antenna extension/splitter, speakers, and the enclosure for under $150. I'm not sure if I can run the speaker wire in parallel with my existing radio, so it might mean that my factory radio won't work any more, but would be easily returned to stock.

Basically, I'd like to do the conversion route, but that's about the same cost as a new set of rear springs.

That's kind of what I had in mind. Rather than on the trans hump (that sounds so dirty), I was thinking upside down, hanging from under the dash. I'm kind of torn, though. I just got off the phone with Bob's Radio and Television in Central California, who came recommended by several Imperialists. He can get AM/FM, AUX and even fully functioning Bluetooth all in my factory head unit. He can keep the separate rear volume knob working factory, as well as the foot-operated search knob (which will work on AM as well as FM). So everything on my dash will work as original. That's really attractive.

But it's also going to cost at least $550, not including speakers.

If I go with the marine enclosure, I can buy a stereo, an antenna extension/splitter, speakers, and the enclosure for under $150. I'm not sure if I can run the speaker wire in parallel with my existing radio, so it might mean that my factory radio won't work any more, but would be easily returned to stock.

Basically, I'd like to do the conversion route, but that's about the same cost as a new set of rear springs.

It all depends on what you plan to do with the car. For me, adding an aftermarket stereo was out of the question because of the restoration I did.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm dealing with. Mostly what I'm going to do with the car is keep expenses down low enough that I don't have to justify its existence to anyone (my wife).

I also don't want Commando coming in here and pointing out that my rear main seal still leaks, and I bought a new freaking stereo. At least my headliner is good.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm dealing with. Mostly what I'm going to do with the car is keep expenses down low enough that I don't have to justify its existence to anyone (my wife). QUOTE]
I have two different approches to the upgraded sound with OEM appearence with my cars.
Both are convertibles which eliminates the rear package tray speaker mount option.

My 69 Chrysler has a MP3 convertor that plays through the original am radio. I was able to mount 3 way 6 X 9 speakers in the dash and grille in the back seat.... that works out great.
In my 65 Coronet I mounted a modern Kenwood radio/CD/aux (MP3) in the glove box and the original am radio is just there for OEM appeariance. The speakers were a problem.... I did not want to cut into the original interior panels and there was no provision for factory rear speakers.
I mounted two 5" round 3 way speakers in seperate plywood boxes, lined with styrofoam and covered with black carpet. I ran 12' of speaker wire with RCA connectors so I could remove them if needed. The sound is great, (I'm no audiophile so don't ask about "base response" or such), and I can set the speaker boxes on the convertible boot or outside the car for music at functions.

But having your existing OEM radio converted is the best solution. I'll do that with my 61 Fury.

OH........ Does the wife really need to know everything....? :poke:

It still leaking??

Yep. And it will continue to leak until I pull the engine, or decide to put stop-leak in it (which always makes me feel like a half-assed troll when I think about it).

But writing that comment made me realize the answer was obvious. It's not really a daily driver until all the mechanical bugs are sorted. Money is one element, but so is time. I could spend a day removing the original stereo to send out, or mount and wire an aftermarket unit. Or I could install a new master cylinder and bleed the brakes. Or pull the rear passenger door panel off and fix my window. Or do a thorough check for vacuum leaks so I can chase down the hard starting.

So I appreciate the advice on stereo stuff (keep it coming), but I appreciate the s#!t-talking of Commando even more (keep it coming).

Thinking about a stereo is fun, but so is having a car that needs no excuses.

I wanted to follow up on this....

I was in contact today with this guy... http://www.garytayman.com/stereo.htm

He does a lot of these conversions and I asked him about it and he says the Aurora brand conversion is the only way to go now. A lot shops were using the AAR brand conversions and are now switching brands because the Aurora is a better unit and the customer service from the manufacturer is much better.

Not sure if this topic is still relevant, but I had a hard time deciding on the stereo ordeal as well. I didn't want to ruin any of the factory stuff and I like how the dash looks as is with the old thumb wheel AM. I got an old police console out of a Crown Vic.

Similar to this-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAVIS-SHIEL...Parts_Accessories&hash=item338cc059cd&vxp=mtr

gonna wrap it with vinyl to match the interior and I have a floor plate to fit over the trans. hump as well. All the wiring will run under carpet to the trunk. My amp board will be hung between the rear 6x9 and power to radio will be supplied from there as well. The console could essentially hold about four stereos. But a cupholder and storage cubby will fill it out.

Dash stays unmolested and no wires will be visible and it all comes out if needed to go back to stock other than a small slit in the carpet on the hump to pull wires through.

Back