carb mounting gasket

cinciaz

Reaction score
ok, so I have a 1968 New Yorker. I need to know which type of gasket to use for the carb. Common sense would tell you to use the 4 hole gasket. Every time I try to order this gasket from anywhere its telling me to order the open plenum gasket. so any help would be appreciated. Pictures attached...
440 intake manifold.jpg
4 hole gasket.jpg
Open Plenum.jpg

The open plenum gasket will be fine. Consider getting a thicker gasket/spacer if you have the hood clearance as it will help reduce vapor lock conditions.

The open plenum gasket will be fine. Consider getting a thicker gasket/spacer if you have the hood clearance as it will help reduce vapor lock conditions.
Carter AFB and AVS are less susceptible to boiling fuel in the bowls than a Holley 4150 or 4160 which are made of zinc. Holleys require a thick insulating gasket.

Carter AFB and AVS are less susceptible to boiling fuel in the bowls than a Holley 4150 or 4160 which are made of zinc. Holleys require a thick insulating gasket.
The 4150's rarely fuel boil simply because the fuel bowls hang over the baseplate snd they are quite large. The 4160's are more susceptible because od design and the Carter/Edelbrock carbs are terrible at percolating. The float bowls are quite small and are positioned directly over the baseplate. Thick gaskets, adapters, insulators, and spacers do help. Many owners have installed a small electric charge pump to fill the carb bowls. A fused power supply and a momentary switch works best. Instant starts after a hot soak or sitting a few days. Fuel boiling and evaporation is a real issue.

The 4150's rarely fuel boil simply because the fuel bowls hang over the baseplate snd they are quite large. The 4160's are more susceptible because od design and the Carter/Edelbrock carbs are terrible at percolating. The float bowls are quite small and are positioned directly over the baseplate.
It is the aluminum vs zinc bodies that make a difference.

thanks everyone for the feed back. I think I'm going to go with the one that makes the most sense. If that one doesn't work I know now that the other one will. definitely going to get a spacer. Thanks again. just trying to make it a daily driver.

The OEM gasket is the thicker gasket with metal or plastic bushings in each of the carb stud holes. From my experiences, those thin "Mr. Gasket"-type gaskets are just good enough to stop a vacuum leak. The thick gaskets are in the Edelbrock and Holley online catalogs. They should be available from NAPA in their normal carb parts catalogs, too.

As the OEM gaskets were the thicker ones, THAT is what the divorced chokes are calibrated for. But all things considered, you might need to back-off the OEM spec adjustment on the thermostat coil by one notch lean, as the springs tend to get tighter with age.

HOLLEY 108-12 is the open plenum thick gasket with 4 studs and nuts.
HOLLEY 108-18 is the thick gasket, divided down the middle, with metal inserts in the carb stud holes, which was OEM on my '70 Monaco 383 4bbl AVS.
EDELBROCK 9266 is the thick divided plenum gasket with metal inserts in the carb stud holes, with 4 studs.
EDELBROCK 9265 is the thick open plenum gasket with plastic inserts in the carb stud holes, with 4 studs.
EDELBROCK 12410 is the open plenum gasket with 4 studs.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

1969 amd older used the thin gaskets. Ive been using these mr gasket 55C for decades with zero trouble. Install them clean and dry.

The thick gaskets with spacers started in 1970. You must use them or the Carter carb will hit the choke thermostat and not seal the carb base to the intake. They are so thick they will foul up the choke linkage Length On a 69 and older mopar.

Back