Carb Rebuild

Scott 440 TNT

Reaction score
My 68 300 with 440 TNT needs a carb rebuild.
The only marking is on a tag with 4428S & 3137 & 38.
On Rockauto there is a kit for a Carter that looks correct.
Can anyone verify if this is the correct kit for my car.

My 68 300 with 440 TNT needs a carb rebuild.
The only marking is on a tag with 4428S & 3137 & 38.
On Rockauto there is a kit for a Carter that looks correct.
Can anyone verify if this is the correct kit for my car.

The kit number I have on file is KT4084 from www.carburetor-parts.com
Tomco kit number is KT5231A
Your carb is an AVS Carter Model 4428S

Dave

Last edited:
In many cases, one kit will cover a multitude of carburetor numbers as the gaskets and such are common to at least that many carb numbers. What generates the carb numbers is the carb's "calibration" (jets, metering rods, metering rod springs, choke pull-off setting, etc.) rather than changing the body items on the carb's architecture. In some cases, there CAN be some different holes in some of the gaskets, which is why you get several different ones in each kit, sometimes.

With those commonalities involved, the QUALITY of the kit becomes important for best long-term durability. What I term "OEM Level" durability. When Carter (who built the carb) was in business, I always got their kits for their carbs. Just as using a Rochester kit for a Rochester carb, or similarly with Ford. For the base gaskets, I'd always lean toward the thick, OEM-spec gaskets rather than the thinner ones most of the kits had in them, back then. Even if I had to get one from the dealer. BUT . . . that was when all of that stuff was "common" and readily-available.

In general, other than cleaning/soaking, all you'll be really improving is the gaskets (and how they might have deteriorated over time). By this point in time, I suspect there might be some wear on the throttle shafts/carb base plate interface. Which would mean that a clean/soak/re-gasket might not really address your suspected issues. This is where Dana@Woodruff would come in so that they can professionally address any possible other issues which are outside of the function of "a kit". There might also be some deposits deep in some of the fuel or air calibration circuits which might be restricted, which the normal soak/spray with carb cleaner night not remove, too.

You know how the engine's acting or not acting, so your judgment call.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Scott 440 TNT,
If you want to tackle rebuilding it yourself...(which will of course be far less expensive than sending it out to be rebuilt), I can provide you with an ethanol gas compatible material Carburetor Rebuilding Kit.....

Always best to simply call me --- Craig ---
516 - 485 - 1935.... New York.....

I will be doing the work myself, if that doesn’t do the job then I’ll look for a replacement.
Mikes Carb lists this kit #
K4092

I will be doing the work myself,

THIS THREAD PICHERS.jpg

Back