Carbon fiber driveshaft vrs steel driveshaft

We don't use the f word here.
I drop the f bomb regularly on the local camaros.But topic related, there is only one case of a C/F driveshaft failure that I am aware of on the 13-14 GT 500's. And that one had something to do with the pressed yoke coming out. They must be pretty tough, there are guys running these cars into the 8's and launching hard. They must be pretty tough.

Pretty tough to get enough traction on a street car to break one. That's not the weakest link anyway, the axles usually break first. Or, in my case, the differential case just snapped in half.

4700 NM works out to 3466 lb ft. If I build my 440 to make 550 lb-ft, and I have a 2.45:1 first gear, I'm going to put about 1350 lb-ft through it.

Cool.

Were you running stock diff?
Pretty tough to get enough traction on a street car to break one. That's not the weakest link anyway, the axles usually break first. Or, in my case, the differential case just snapped in half.

I seen them snap on the Mitsu Vr4's and dodge stealths. They work but not indestructible . I guess the all wheel drive 6 to 7k launch is a little hard on them.

Were you running stock diff?

Nope, aftermarket 8.8 in an aluminum case. Very first attempted pass on a 200 shot. Had to go to a billet case.
Dif.jpg

Dif.jpg

I've got 1750x12.3:1 For 21525 ft lbs I can snap it for you

Are you using the diff ratio to multiply there? I don't understand your math. The torque multiplication would be transmission only, not trans and diff, since you're transmitting torque to the diff, not through it. The axles will see torque multiplied through trans and diff.

Here's the new one... A bunch of passes in already spraying 200 right out of the hole with no issue.

image.jpg

Back