Carburetor and Intake Manifold

Reaction score
This has been a project for 3 Years and we finally have progress. Looking to spruce up my 1962 Chrysler Newport with a new Carburetor and have several Questions as this is all new to me. We have done the following:
1) New suspension (shocks, Springs)
2) New brakes (pads, Springs, Turned rotors, rebuilt Power brake booster, new reservoir, New lines)
3) New Steering (power Steering gear box and pump rebuilt, all new steering components)
4) Refurbished Gas tank
5) New Interior (minus dash board...Still working on that one :))
6) New paint
7) rebuilt carb (still has issues)

The engine runs good however I can tell a little hesitation from time to time. I want to pull the motor and trans this winter for an overhaul. The current motor is a 361 with a torque flight transmission.

What are your thoughts about a new Carburetor? Should I get a new intake manifold as well? Is it worth getting a 4BBL? Is a 4BBL too much?

Chrylser after.jpgChrysler after 2.jpgChjrysler Interior.jpgChrysler interior 2.jpgChrysler before.jpg

Can't give you any advice on performance upgrades, but WOW she's a beaut. Certainly my favorite Mopar! My dream car is any 62 2 door hard top, but I've got love for the more doors too :)

Can't give you any advice on performance upgrades, but WOW she's a beaut. Certainly my favorite Mopar! My dream car is any 62 2 door hard top, but I've got love for the more doors too :)
Thank you for the kind words. It's a labor or love and MONEY!

Has the 361 been completely tuned up? If you are sure it is the carb I would just get another one. If you want more power a four barrel and dual exhaust would be a start.

Car looks nice! So you currently have a 361 2bbl, is it a Carter BBD or Stromberg WWC? The Carter is simple to rebuild/kit. Just getting a generic auto supply rebuilt might cause you more issues than you now have, so diagnosing the carb first might be more effective.

Going to a 4bbl (of an applicable size) might improve driveability and power, plus sound better "under power", with or without a dual exhaust, but there might also be some issues with getting the kickdown linkage interfaced to the new 4bbl carb. Not insurmountable issues, just something else to deal with as the throttle shaft will be in a different place on the engine than it now is. Might also be able to upgrade the throttle actuation to a later model cable, too?

IF you really want to modernize things, Holley Sniper EFI has a line of 2bbl EFI kits. They are referenced to Rochester carburetors, but Rochester carbs had some of the same baseplate sizes as Chrysler used, so you can go into the Holley website to get the dimensions and see if one might fit what you have on the current 2bbl intake. Certainly more expensive than fixing your current carb, though. Might also need to upgrade the ignition system to go along with it, too. Just mentioning this as an option, no more, no less.

I concur that making sure the tune-up specs are where they need to be is a valid starting point. Plus making sure the distributor vac advance is hooked up, not leaking, and working as designed. For good measure, you might put a wrench on the carb base nuts and intake manifold bolts, just to make sure they are all snugged-down.

At THIS point in time, being able to cruise reliably and inexpensively with as little work as possible to get there CAN be very important.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

If you have a 2 barrel carburetor now and are going to keep the 2 barrel manifold, the simplest thing would be to rebuild the 2 barrel carburetor.
With the car with that much weight, I would say that a 4 barrel with a 4 barrel manifold would help. It doesn't need to be a big 4 barrel, maybe 600 CFM. You may need upper part of kickdown linkage to go to 4-bbl

The kickdown linkage doesn’t come off the carb on a 1962 Chrysler. It comes off the throttle linkage below the top of the engine.

something to consider is the linkage is a solid rod that pushes forward. Not a normal mopar type connection. I like to use original carbs so the linkage fits correctly.

FFEA0930-2B42-4457-B1BB-306A7902633A.jpeg

The kickdown linkage doesn’t come off the carb on a 1962 Chrysler. It comes off the throttle linkage below the top of the engine.

something to consider is the linkage is a solid rod that pushes forward. Not a normal mopar type connection. I like to use original carbs so the linkage fits correctly.

View attachment 537977
Thanks for that graphic! As most aftermarket carbs have a lower throttle linkage connection where GM kickdown cables hook up, considering how low and close to the intake manifold that throttle rod seems to be, might that GM kickdown cable area be used as the throttle rod hook-up point on the '62-era Chryslers (as pictured)? Later OEM-spec Chrysler carbs do no have that lower section on the throttle area, but all of the aftermarket carbs tend to.

Just a thought,
CBODY67

Wow! Thank you for all the input. I appreciate the advice and knowledge. As a novice mechanic I would have made a big mess. Thank you

I think I will stick with the 2bbl carb. However , I will look at a new one and keep the old for s back up.

one of the issues that you may be dealing with is the fact that todays gasoline is a lot different from what was sold when your car was new...and this even varies with what area of the country you are in...generally speaking with the addition of ethanol etc it will burn leaner than what you need so usually just slapping a rebuild kit in the thing will result in the same issues...the carb may need bigger jets, the accelerator pump nozzles enlarged etc...hopefully a good carb guy will make the necessary modifications to compensate for this while a generic rebuild will not address the issue at all...and this applies whether you stick with a 2bbl or upgrade to a 4

Last edited:
Back