Carburetor Comparison

BLUPORT

Carpe Diem Cras
Reaction score
I'm tossing around carb ideas for my car (68 Newport, 2bbl 383/727 for those who don't already know) and right now a 4bbl conversion isn't in the budget. I'm aware we have a forum member who does amazing work on rebuilds, but I'm looking at 24-hour solutions.

Checking all the local parts houses, I narrowed it down to these 2 carbs to replace my Carter that is leaking at the gaskets. (I'm not rebuilding it myself.)

With that said, between these two carbs, which look rather identical, is there a difference in these?

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/carburetor/autoline-carburetor/320217_591810_0

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/carburetor/united-carburetors-carburetor/169136_0_1879

To me, it appears to just be Carters rebuilt by different people, does that sound about right?

Also, I know lots of people hate VatoZone, I'm not a huge fan myself, but I'm a former Manager, and still have connections that will save me more than a few bucks on this.

Several years ago I bought an Autoline rebuilt for my 83 D150. It worked well for many years until I upgraded things but the engine it was on was still running smooth after near 80K miles when I yanked it for a major motor upgrade.
EDIT: After doing the math, that was 22 or 23 years ago and I yanked the motor it was on in 03 so enough time has gone by that I'd not guarantee much is still the same. I do recall they were rebuilt in Winterpeg at the time.

I'm tossing around carb ideas for my car (68 Newport, 2bbl 383/727 for those who don't already know) and right now a 4bbl conversion isn't in the budget. I'm aware we have a forum member who does amazing work on rebuilds, but I'm looking at 24-hour solutions.

Checking all the local parts houses, I narrowed it down to these 2 carbs to replace my Carter that is leaking at the gaskets. (I'm not rebuilding it myself.)

With that said, between these two carbs, which look rather identical, is there a difference in these?

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/carburetor/autoline-carburetor/320217_591810_0

https://www.autozone.com/fuel-delivery/carburetor/united-carburetors-carburetor/169136_0_1879

To me, it appears to just be Carters rebuilt by different people, does that sound about right?

Also, I know lots of people hate VatoZone, I'm not a huge fan myself, but I'm a former Manager, and still have connections that will save me more than a few bucks on this.

Both of those rebuilds are probably a crap shoot. . . But I think I would go with the one that is USA-made.

I’ve used autoline carbs for years (30+) made in Winnipeg most were very good occasionally a bad one came through but they were mostly the T-quads. I have 2 Autoline carbs sitting on the shelf new in box just in case for my 66’s

I’ve used autoline carbs for years (30+) made in Winnipeg most were very good occasionally a bad one came through but they were mostly the T-quads. I have 2 Autoline carbs sitting on the shelf new in box just in case for my 66’s
Are they pretty close to "setup" out of the box, or did you have to do a lot of tuning to get them right?

Here's a thought, see if @Dana has a core that he can rebuild and send.

I'm with @Ripinator that any rebuilt carb that you buy over the counter is a crap shoot. Dana runs his on a test mule.

There are always adjustments to be made as each application is different but it is a bolt on and run then adjust. Mixture and idle speed will be close.

Autoline Products - Carburetors

However I’m a big supporter of members helping members so I would recommend Dana as well but if that is not an option then you have my thoughts on the subject

Here's a thought, see if @Dana has a core that he can rebuild and send.

I'm with @Ripinator that any rebuilt carb that you buy over the counter is a crap shoot. Dana runs his on a test mule.
Already talked to Dana, and while the cost is close to buying one from AZ, the added cost and time of shipping, on top of rebuild time, on top of added cost of rebuilding his core as opposed to mine, I would be saving about 10 days, and $100 by getting it locally. Time and money are 2 things I'm running out of before Carlisle.

but I'm a former Manager, and still have connections that will save me more than a few bucks on this.

As a former Mgr. you are in a must better position to know and judge which would be the better of the two for your application, I would think? I do see small differences between the 2, my question is. Is there any difference in CFM between the 2? Linkage's look different too! You're were own best judge here! Good Luck
Both of those rebuilds are probably a crap shoot. . . But I think I would go with the one that is USA-made.

I agree!

What he said in that comment up there (1).jpg

As a former Mgr. you are in a must better position to know and judge which would be the better of the two for your application, I would think? I do see small differences between the 2, my question is. Is there any difference in CFM between the 2? Linkage's look different too! You're were own best judge here! Good Luck

I agree!

View attachment 274313
As a former Manager, I simply still have friends who can get me a fat discount. I didn't handle a lot of 2bbl carbs during my stint in the clink.

I was hoping people could chime in with their experience, and so far, Autolite seems to have a decent track record. I just figured I'd ask you guys before I stop by the AZ hub that has it in the store.

I'm trying to find a way to make it work through Dana without asking for any preferential treatment, so I might just send him money and my carb, and maybe use that down-time to work on that stupid back seat.

Autoline carbs are decent quality.
If time and money are tight use your AZ connections. At least they have a warranty I hope.
If you had time Dana would be the choice I would make.
You still have to tune the engine no matter what. Move the mixture screws only if you really have to.
I had a NOS carb but sold it when I went 4bbl.

I would love to go to a 4bbl, but right now, I can only afford an intake, or a carb, not to mention the bracket that will have to be fabbed.

I have another message out to Dana for clarification, I think I misunderstood him earlier.

On any carb rebuild, other than take-apart and put-back-together things, the gaskets can be on big deal, but I also suspect most use the same kits to do their rebuilds. Other than that, the choke setting, but if you know how to eyeball that, it's easy, too.

If those larger BBDs had more applications, other than Chrysler 383 2bbls, then I'd be concerned about the correct mix of jets and metering rods. Be sure to match the orig carb number to see what it was originally built for and go from there, if possible.

Check for throttle shaft wear, for general principles. If the rebuilder sleeved it, so much the better.

You know what your options are. Your judgment call.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I've had experience with 3 united carbs 10+ years ago. The first one was just crap. It's replacement was ok, but always had a stumble that couldn't get worked out. Another one (on a different engine) always had a flat spot at 4000ish that would completely kill the engine. Otherwise, it ran ok.

I vote rebuild no matter how much extra time is needed. I've learned my lessons with the parts store crap, which only seems to get worse with time, much like a porta potty in July.

Already talked to Dana, and while the cost is close to buying one from AZ, the added cost and time of shipping, on top of rebuild time, on top of added cost of rebuilding his core as opposed to mine, I would be saving about 10 days, and $100 by getting it locally. Time and money are 2 things I'm running out of before Carlisle.
I'm thinking that you don't have the time/money to waste on a crappy rebuild of an incorrect (but semi-compatible) carburetor. I would, under no circumstances, give away yours as a core... cheap way out, build it yourself... safe way... pay Dana and rest easy.

I'm thinking that you don't have the time/money to waste on a crappy rebuild of an incorrect (but semi-compatible) carburetor. I would, under no circumstances, give away yours as a core... cheap way out, build it yourself... safe way... pay Dana and rest easy.
And you know it's the correct carb, so it will go back on perfectly!

Would you rather be bummed out the VZ carb is what you hoped, or be bummed out waiting ten days for a sweet *** rebuild from a fellow FCBO member? I'll take the later.

Back