carter afb problems...

Knebel

Reaction score
Sigh... i have some issues with my carter afb on my 360... again. Im actually ready to just get a holley or a thunder avs and scrap the carter but I dont really have the funds to do that right now.

To my problem, i had the carb tuned in well, very well actually, but for some reason it heasitates when taking off a stop now, that however gets better the warmer the engine is. Checked the accel. Pump and it gives a shot. Still i see a lean spot on the afr gauge when it happens. Then, i dial in the idle mixture to an afr of 14:1. Well, it wont hold it... i just drove my kids to school and the idle afr was fine, i shut the car off for one Minute, and on the drive home it never gets back to the idle afr i had set, its VERY lean and its not only the idle, it misses a bit while driving too. I have one of those 1" brown compound spacers for heat insulation. I dont know what to do with that carb anymore, i already had it off and cleaned thoroughly.

On the off idle stumble - try setting the cam for a bit more stroke, that'll help a bit. I also just changed the shooters for larger size ones and the combination of the larger pump shot with a larger diameter shooter really changed the engine's manners. Mild 360 w/Carter AFB. There should be a number on the top of the shooter that will tell you the diameter and there's a few other sizes available. Don't remember the exact changes I made but IIRC it was from the base 27 up to a 32.
Mike

Hey polara, I got the pump shot increased by putting it in the linkage in the top hole. Sure enough got pulled over ...lol i guess that means it works good now. It also held the idle afr pretty good but im sure that was an exception... will keep looking out for it.

Good advice Polara 500. If he continues to have a misfire at cruise speeds he might want to check the gaskets on the carb & spacer. I hope there was no silicone used

Glad I helped. Another thing you can do is to change out the metering rods, I forgot I also did that - used some from a strip kit I picked up, kept the same size for the cruise range but went one size smaller in the power band which makes the power range a bit richer. If you don't have a book for the carb, their manual has a chart in it that will help guide you on rod/jet changes and there's lots of rods available that'll let you make significant changes with minimal effort. (I think you can find the chart online, too.)
Mike

Back