Carter AVS, 2 barrel to 4 barrel conversion.

Sir Dodge alot

Reaction score
Few weeks back I was able to get my hands on a good deal on a Carter and an intake Manifold later on.

The patient; the car is a 1964 Dodge Custom 880 that came with a 2 barrel originally.

Problem: how do I make this 4 barrel carburetor work with my 2 barrel linkages?

(WOT on the 4 barrel equating to idle from the gas pedal)

I don't know how i can word it, sorry.

I'll provide pictures of the carb and the old carb if needed.

Extra information:
Carter AVS #4635S
Intake manifold #2806301 (1968-1969)

Appreciate the help, thanks.

20220816_151050.jpg

20220816_151117.jpg

20220816_151121.jpg

20220816_151133.jpg

20220814_112525.jpg

20220816_151526.jpg

Last edited:
So I was staring at the linkage, and thought it should work with the carb?

Am i missing something here?

Either that or I'm just plain tired and should stop for today.

The main issue is you are using a carb set up for a later car with a cable rather than a rod. I think you just need to transfer the little "knob" (for want of a better word) that the rod clips on from your old carb to the new one. That's assuming that the length of the throttle rod is correct and matches with the carb.

If you have an automatic trans, don't forget to do something with the linkage to the trans (mistakenly called the "kickdown" linkage by many) or you will cook the trans.

Example of throttle cable attachement:

1660683983307.png

Oh, that's some good food for thought, thanks Big_John.

I found more information regarding the linkage + the carb.

The AVS ball joint linkage is flipped 180* compared to the AFB that's on the FSM.

Take a look.

So if I'm thinking this through correctly, I can get a bracket and drill a hole and bolt it on the AVS linkage and flip it 180* back to match the configuration on the AFB.

Yay? Or nay?

20220816_164010.jpg

20220816_164020.jpg

20220816_164029.jpg

20220816_164057.jpg

Yes you are missing something.

The rod on the car pushes forward to open the carb, the mount is below the throttle shaft.

Now that carb stud on the AVS needs to be pulled backward to open the carb, and it mounts above the throttle shaft. That’s a problem.

It would be kinda nice to have an AFB like this one in the photo, then it would hook right up.

the throttle pressure linkage mounts to the throttle linkage behind the engine so it doesn’t connect to that carb at all.

DCEE2F3A-D958-4376-9A6D-309D636737F0.jpeg

2B284F8B-106D-48C3-BA0A-BBE714375CB4.jpeg

I did indeed see that the carb would be at WOT and the pedal will not go forward.

Funny you say that, I indeed have an AFB but discovered the stock 2806301 manifold uses a different divorced choke settup.

And the bolt holes at the base of the carburetor would not match up to the manifold.

Me being a few years newbie to Chryslers I wasn't ready to drill and modify a carb to make it fit on the manifold.

And so the AVS is now here.

I'll probably end up selling the AFB included is a rebuild kit from Mike's carb parts, and it's been media blasted.

20220816_170009.jpg

20220816_170014.jpg

Ok so I think I have a shoddy game plan.

I'll go to lowes or home depot and see if i can find a rod or some stock with holes in it to mount to the AVS throttle hole/joint 180* back.

That should work.

Appreciate Big_John & 413 for the help and giving me the time to brainstorm with you gentlemen.

I thought I needed to fab up a whole entire new linkage to make the carb work, gave me cold sweats for real. It was like watching a horror movie.

The rod on the car pushes forward to open the carb, the mount is below the throttle shaft.
Forgot that the rod pushes, not pulls like the cable. Glad you knew that.

IF you had gotten an aftermarket AFB/AVS, it might well have the GM-style linkage hookups, which uses the bottom of the throttle bracket to run the kickdown cable, BUT could then also be where you might hook your throttle linkage to? You might look at some of the related pictures online, to see if that might work.

The '63-era 4bbls had the "small pattern" base plate configuration, whereas the '68+ had the larger "Holley pattern" carb baseplate and gasket. So, updating to the later intake manifold solves a few problems all at once.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

@Big_John That edelbrock throttle lever, I think that's what I need. I was in the midst of starting the car first time with a 4 barrel on.

No more needing to go buy stock at home depot or lowes!

I did forget to mention; I robbed the ball joint from the Stromberg WWC 2 barrel and put it on the Carter AVS.

looks good considering the fact that it's in the wrong place.

20220816_205302.jpg

@CBODY67 I'll peruse the interwebs and see and compare both 66' to 68 linkage cables.

Then compare to the linkage I got currently, (parts shopping imminent)

Edit: I'm flat broke right now so I'll have to wait till payday next month.

Yes you are missing something.

Now that carb stud on the AVS needs to be pulled backward to open the carb, and it mounts above the throttle shaft. That’s a problem.

It would be kinda nice to have an AFB like this one in the photo, then it would hook right up.

the throttle pressure linkage mounts to the throttle linkage behind the engine so it doesn’t connect to that carb at all.

View attachment 552533

View attachment 552534
413, do you have any more photos of that carburetor throttle linkage from other points or angles?

Thanks.

Back