Cbody headers

74delta

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any shorty headers or even long tunes besides tti that fit a 65 300 without having to modify too much? Want to re do my exhaust but just can't justify the price of the tti yet the car still needs more before id drop that kind of coin.

Just curious, what's wrong with what you currently have? Why do you want to change? Your best bet would be to get the Mopar performance manifolds. People that do headers for the street eventually regret doing so. According to Summits site the Hedmans don't get very good reviews. DODGE Hedman Hedders 78070 Hedman Street Headers | Summit Racing
There's also Sanderson Headers, they make a block hugger for Mopar. I'm sure a web search will produce your answers your looking for. I have no experience with either company. Good Luck

Just curious, what's wrong with what you currently have? Why do you want to change? Your best bet would be to get the Mopar performance manifolds. People that do headers for the street eventually regret doing so. According to Summits site the Hedmans don't get very good reviews. DODGE Hedman Hedders 78070 Hedman Street Headers | Summit Racing
There's also Sanderson Headers, they make a block hugger for Mopar. I'm sure a web search will produce your answers your looking for. I have no experience with either company. Good Luck
Well I have a sniper effect kit ready to go on and was planning on a single plane intake and a small cam. The previous owner did a homemade dual exhaust but the pipes from the manifolds to the under car were done very poorly and are definitely a bad choke point. So I was thinking some shorty headers with new header pipes would help everything breath and free up some power.

I don't know what a sniper kit is? Then just get a good free flowing replacement exhaust and don't sweat the rest? I'd be more worried about running what you call a small cam is with a single plane intake, your car will NOT like that! Single planes are geared more towards the racer crowd. Good Luck

I don't know what a sniper kit is? Then just get a good free flowing replacement exhaust and don't sweat the rest? I'd be more worried about running what you call a small cam is with a single plane intake, your car will NOT like that! Single planes are geared more towards the racer crowd. Good Luck
Sniper is the holley efi kit. I've read it like single plane intakes more than dual for tuning purposes.

What does Holley recommend with their Sniper EFI? With a single-plane, you'll usually lose some lower-rpm torque, typically. The single-planes, though, can have better cyl-to-cyl mixture distribution (which is what drove the original Edelbrock Tarantula/Torker family of intakes to happen), which might be the reason for the "easier tuning" comments.

What constitutes "a small cam" in your orientation? Just curious.

As for mixture distribution "corrections", read the Mopar Performance B/RB Engine race manual, regardiing the use of epoxied "popsicle stick" dams in particular places near the inrtake plenum area.

CBODY67

What does Holley recommend with their Sniper EFI? With a single-plane, you'll usually lose some lower-rpm torque, typically. The single-planes, though, can have better cyl-to-cyl mixture distribution (which is what drove the original Edelbrock Tarantula/Torker family of intakes to happen), which might be the reason for the "easier tuning" comments.

What constitutes "a small cam" in your orientation? Just curious.

As for mixture distribution "corrections", read the Mopar Performance B/RB Engine race manual, regardiing the use of epoxied "popsicle stick" dams in particular places near the inrtake plenum area.

CBODY67
Honestly haven't put much thought into exact cam specs yet just something to take advantage of 4 decades worth of newer cam tech. I'm not someone chasing the chop chop sound.

From what I've seen, the main advances in "cam tech" have been in the hardware areas, rather than in cam specs per se. On some of the newer production engines, the advances in port designs have allowed for good flow at over .500" lifts, where the older ports needed help to support, then losing much of their "goodness" at lower lifts. I believe there have been some subtle changes in when the intake valve opens and closes, allowing the higher mechanical compression ratios to work (compressing a little bit less mixture, more?).

The asymetrical lobe shapes (opens quick, closes slow) have been around since CompCams came out with them in the late 1970s (iirc). Lunati now has some cams with them, too.

Full-roller rocker arms have become necessary with the 1.70 OEM rocker arms and the .500"+ valve lifts of many current OEM HP engines. Which also need the better-design valve springs to support that activity for 100K+ miles.

Consider, too, that all of the OEM items are all parts of a "well-orchestrated dance", of sorts. Everything works together for synergistic results. The whole engine, rather than just one part of it. All with full-electronic controls to make things work as well as they do. Especially in the fuel/spark areas!

I know of the allure of the modern EFI TBI kits to replace carburetors with something more modern. The pricing has seemed to remain constant as the sophistication of the hardware/software has increased. But it's still a fuel mixer sitting on top of an intake manifold, where a carburetor used to be. The computer controls replace the time spent in finessing the mixture/jets/rods/springs, for best results and fuel economy. I still know about those things, but not how it relates to some of the things related to EFI workings. BTAIM

I have determined that the best way to do things is to let the computer also control the ignition timing, too. Then, possibly set the cruise AFR to 14.7 (probably approx 14.2 for E10 fuel) for best highway fuel economy.

Just some thoughts and observations,
CBODY67

The EFI kit will like the open plenum over the dual plane.

Does anyone know of any shorty headers or even long tunes besides tti that fit a 65 300 without having to modify too much? Want to re do my exhaust but just can't justify the price of the tti yet the car still needs more before id drop that kind of coin.

Pretty sure the Hooker HKR-5113's would fit the bill as I don't think there's much difference between 65 and 67 and they fit mine just fine without modification.

Hooker 5113HKR Hooker Super Competition Long tube Headers - Painted

It's that hard left and right out of the collector that make it a pain in the ***.

Pretty sure the Hooker HKR-5113's would fit the bill as I don't think there's much difference between 65 and 67 and they fit mine just fine without modification.

Hooker 5113HKR Hooker Super Competition Long tube Headers - Painted

It's that hard left and right out of the collector that make it a pain in the ***.

Thanks for that link. What about power brake booster clearance AND getting to that last bolt at the rear of the header flange? Just curious. Kind of make spending the $$$$ for a good pair of application-accurate HP manifolds better all of the time, for a street car.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Thanks for that link. What about power brake booster clearance AND getting to that last bolt at the rear of the header flange? Just curious. Kind of make spending the $$$$ for a good pair of application-accurate HP manifolds better all of the time, for a street car.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67
I had no problem with the bolts on my '66. I used tti headers, but I imagine the Hookers are similar.

Got any insight on where to get those Mopar performance manifolds? I've got a 65 Custom 880 and need a complete exhaust system. I go it with some half way made homemade headers that need to go to scrap metal.
Thanks

I've bought the hedman 78070 headers for my 1968 Newport with low deck bigblock.
Reviews on summit aren't great because of fitment issues on some B body shock towers.
It should work fairly well on a low deck C body, but you need a mini starter.
No guarantees, I will post my exhaust when I receive the headers in a month

Review of Hedman 78070 shorties in a 68 Fury with a 440 and automatic:
Forums / Performance Tech / Hedman shorty header review - C-Body DryDock
Excellent work, Mike! I was reading thru this forum at random, starting reading this thread and thought 'How do I find my old review?'
And poof, there it was!

I would have a little concern about how they fit in a 65 subframe, though, as IIRC I read somewhere that the steering box might be in a slightly different location relating to the 1-year driverside motormount?
And IIRC theres a boss on the block that needs ground down when using the Hedman shortys on a B-block.

After 14 years on my car, these uncoated shortys are still in great shape and just within the last 1-2 years developed my first gasket leak (I'm using copper gaskets).

Back