Change an interior from black to blue

Reaction score
Am contemplating buying a '65 New Yorker 2 door which has a black interior, bucket seats. Have owned two '65 New Yorkers with blue interiors/bucket seats.

Any idea on the coast/feasibility of changing the interior from black to blue? I know it would involve dismantling the dash, repainting the metal part of dash, new headliner, new upholstery, carpet, door panels, etc. Is this an absolutely crazy idea?

Does it need the interior done anyway? Is so the cost won't be much more. Now if the black interior is in good condition I'd leave it.

Seats are OK; have not seen headliner; but driver's door panel needs replacing. I figure the change would be expensive. Wondering if anyone has done such a change.

Seats are OK; have not seen headliner; but driver's door panel needs replacing. I figure the change would be expensive. Wondering if anyone has done such a change.
I did some of that in this post. Went from black to blue. Seats were nice old 1967 imperial stuff. Check it out. Still looks good.

B1E46E4A-824B-442D-9EE0-7CDA47323233.jpeg

I went from black to blue, but I still have the black dash and headliner, you can't notice the dash at first (plus I like my AC dash) and the headliner is good enough for now. I have the dash and liner from the blue car when I feel like completing the changeover.

Paint for the dash is cheap.

Based upon a complete restoration of my 65 Sport Fury, carpet to convertible top to dash, I would estimate materials at $3,500 - $4,000; Legendary Auto. Give them a call, tell them what you need and they will give you a quote.

I'm not sure on the carpet portion, but the top of the door panel is vinyl and pretty easy to paint with SEM paint or something similar. The carpet might not take the color well, only because its black, but a good trim shop should be able to replace it if it doesn't.

Seats can be dyed too, although again, going from black might be hard.

Personally, I'd leave it black. A lot of the repop upholstery isn't quite the same as the original.

1965-chrysler-new-yorker-four-door-hard-top-mild-custom-10.jpg

The best thing you can do for any classic car is to leave it as stock as possible. If the black interior is weathered or worn, replace it with the correct materials.

Dave

Thanks. I am thinking however that door panels will be expensive. I'll do some checking.
That’s why I said check the post. I did my black seats blue and my Green door panels blue and white. It’s an open car that’s absolutely not babied and the door panels still look great years later.

I took Big Johns advice bought SEM and it all looks perfect. Thanks again Big John LoL!!!

I'm not sure on the carpet portion, but the top of the door panel is vinyl and pretty easy to paint with SEM paint or something similar. The carpet might not take the color well, only because its black, but a good trim shop should be able to replace it if it doesn't.

Seats can be dyed too, although again, going from black might be hard.

Personally, I'd leave it black. A lot of the repop upholstery isn't quite the same as the original.

View attachment 473471
Do you know if there is an SEM paint color available for the pictured door panels?

I’ll bet you a soda they do. I bought mine at National Parts Depot. I think there was 20 or 30 types of blue in the Ventura store to pick from but I’m sure they have more than that you can order on line. I didn’t do a color match I just picked the best teal blue for me.

Keep in mind the reason a colored interior in old cars look so good stock vs restored is that there can be 3 to 5 different shades of red blue green etc in there. Sometimes it looks funny if it’s all spray bombed the same shade. Once it’s pointed out you’ll notice subtle differences between dash door seat seatback armrests carpet headliner...

Good luck w the car & post pics we’d like to see it!

Back