Changed out my TRW to a Saginaw pump

jct

Reaction score
The swap was easy and had to change the fitting on the steering box to accept the larger female fitting on the pressure hose. Took my car for a test drive and now it's pulling to the right, I'm sure it's a coincidence it just happened, that i didn't notice it was there the last time i drove my car, '68 Newport 383. And it's sort of time for another alignment anyways

I did the same thing on my 300. You will enjoy the road feel now, and it is much easier to get parts in the future.

After the wheel alignment, if it is still pulling to the right, the valve on top of the power steering box will need to be adjusted to fix this problem, Get back to us after the wheel alignment and we can walk you through the process.

might be a while before i can get an alignment, i know it's two bolts barely unloosen and gentle taps one direction or the other.

and my dad brought up a point too much pressure will cause the steering box to leak over time? i i'm using ps fluid and not atf

The total pressure is modulated by a fixed orifice on the pressure output on the Saginaw pump. An easy fix, if needed. BUT the pressures of the Chrysler box were very similar to those on the GM boxes, so leaks should not be an issue due to pressures per se. Especially since Chrylser used the Saginaw pump OEM for many years. Higher pressures will make the steering easier, which you'll notice.

I researched the orifice deal (on the GM parts side of things) for a friend in the reman business. He'd put a reman pump on his K-5 Blazer. The steering was now "breathe on it and it'd turn" afterward. A correct orifice put it back to normal. Seems like there were about 4 different GM part numbers for cars and pickup trucks? Not sure on the Chrysler side of things.

What pulley diameter did you end up with and what resultant p/s belt was needed?

GREAT that you're using psf!

CBODY67

I found no changes when i did the swap so i am good to go (•‿•)

Back