changing from 6V to 12V system... any tips?

Mike McGuire

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Chrysler Enthusiasts,

My forward look project is making a 300 clone out of a 55 windsor. I would like to go to a 12V system. Other than changing the battery & all the light bulbs and such, any advice on what else has to swap? My current generator is a 6V, with my power steering pump hanging off the back end. I heard PowerMaster makes a decent 12V version, but not with the power steering pump....

Thanks as usual.
Mike

You should be able to have the generator converted to 12 volts. From what I understand, they change the fields to 12 volt versions and that's about it. I have heard of people just changing the voltage regulator, but that may or may not work.

The 6 volt starter should be OK as it sits.

I would use one of these to drop the voltage for the instruments.

Gauge Voltage Reducer 12 volts to 6 volts Oil Gas Temp Gauges 1 UNIT RUNS ALL 3A | eBay

And have the radio updated at Tayman Electrical stereo solutions for collector cars

I had a 48 Desoto 2dr Sedan and it was a 6V positive ground system....sheesh! I tore out the wiring and completely rewired the entire car to a 12V negative ground system....that was a big job on a simple car, and don't think I'd want to rewire anything newer then that. ;)

Hello Fellow Chrysler Enthusiasts,

My forward look project is making a 300 clone out of a 55 windsor. I would like to go to a 12V system. Other than changing the battery & all the light bulbs and such, any advice on what else has to swap? My current generator is a 6V, with my power steering pump hanging off the back end. I heard PowerMaster makes a decent 12V version, but not with the power steering pump....

Thanks as usual.
Mike

Check out the 12 volt conversion guide booklet.

Technical Publications | Fifth Avenue

You should be able to have the generator converted to 12 volts. From what I understand, they change the fields to 12 volt versions and that's about it. I have heard of people just changing the voltage regulator, but that may or may not work.

The 6 volt starter should be OK as it sits.

I would use one of these to drop the voltage for the instruments.

Gauge Voltage Reducer 12 volts to 6 volts Oil Gas Temp Gauges 1 UNIT RUNS ALL 3A | eBay

And have the radio updated at Tayman Electrical stereo solutions for collector cars

Thanks Big_John, any advice on who would be able to perform such a feat?
Thanks,
Mike

Seems like an awful lot of work. Not to mention the power steering issue.

Is there something wrong with the system the way it is?

Are you going to use it as a daily? If it's working as is, I'd leave it alone, but that's just me.

Thanks Big_John, any advice on who would be able to perform such a feat?
Thanks,
Mike
I really don't know, but there has to some shops rebuilding generators that can do that. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that.

You could use two 6v batteries in parallel. You’d still have 6v, but you have more storage and cranking power, and it shouldn’t affect the bulbs or radio.

Back