changing from 6V to 12V system... any tips?

Mike McGuire

FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Chrysler Enthusiasts,

My forward look project is making a 300 clone out of a 55 windsor. I would like to go to a 12V system. Other than changing the battery & all the light bulbs and such, any advice on what else has to swap? My current generator is a 6V, with my power steering pump hanging off the back end. I heard PowerMaster makes a decent 12V version, but not with the power steering pump....

Thanks as usual.
Mike

Besides your battery and bulbs, a 12 volt generator, voltage regulator are needed too, and a resistor to the fuel guage will allow that to work. A 12 volt starter is a good idea, but not necessary. The 6 volt horns will function on 12 volts as well and be louder.

It is a 6V negative ground system? I had a 48 Desoto and it was a 6V positive ground system, I rewired the entire car from front to back with a universal 12V system...what a PITA, would not want to do that again! I had to use a couple voltage drop sinks for the blower motor on the heater and couple of the gauges.

I just looked at a '55 Belvidere. 6V POSITIVE ground. If leave it as is and save yourself tons of trouble.

If maintained well the 6V will serve you well.

Just putting it out there. Don't shoot the messenger.

Back