Changing seals on "Large TRW" power steering pump

Reaction score
I wanted to change the leaking axle seal and the reservoir seal on the power steering pump in my '66 Imperial, but it was a little confusing to find a correct seal kit as there as several makes and sizes of pumps. So I thought I would share here in case others are experiencing the same.
The pump is the one known as "large TRW" or "1.2 pump". The reservoir is about Ø 5" in diameter.
I found Sunsong part # 8401027 had the correct seals. I think this kit contains parts which fit several makes of pumps.
Pictures from the exercise below.
The pulley has to be pulled off the axle with the correct type of puller and very important: When pressing it on again, the axle has to be supported underneath with a small cylindrical piece, so one is not damaging the bearings by supporting only on the pump main casting.
When doing some research ahead I saw a tip somewhere on this forum to take the axle seal out by punching a self tapping screw through it and pulling it out like that. (Punched the screw through and tightened it a little. Clamped the screw in the vise and hit the pump casting with a rubber mallet.) Can't find the post now, but I think the tip was from Big_John et al. The new seal pressed in very easily with a deep socket.

IMG_5430.jpg

IMG_5436.jpg

IMG_5497.jpg

IMG_5498.jpg

IMG_5499.jpg

IMG_5503.jpg

IMG_5573.jpg

New seal presses on with a socket or pipe (no socket in picture)
IMG_5574.jpg

IMG_5575.jpg

IMG_5576.jpg

I sealed the one on the Sport Fury a few years back here
TRW p/s pump reseal

I didn't use the screw trick on this one, but I use it often

Why didn't I find this thread before? Perhaps too many threads in my search result where "p/s pump" was mentioned. I could have just written the sunsong part number and linked to your thread which has better explanations :). Anyway, my main purpose was to clarify kit # 8401027 had the right seals for "large TRW".

My 2 cents, having done this twice. Good tutorial here, I'd add that the tool to remove the pulley is commonly on loan from the big box auto parts stores like O'Reileys.
For the install if you don't have a press, clean the pulley and pump shaft mating surfaces thoroughly. Get a plumbers MAPP torch (pipe soldering) and heat the pulley. You can then just drop the pulley on the shaft (USE GLOVES!). Works well for me.
Mark

I wish we had the same arrangement, where you could borrow/rent specialty tools. I think it only exists for professional workshops over here.

In this case I borrowed the puller from "mr. Imperial". I call him that because I think he is the person with most plated Imperials in Denmark (3).

Back