charging control lamp on (sometimes off .....)

Wolfgang Rabl

Reaction score
IMG-5238.JPG
IMG-5239.JPG
Hello !

Electric Problem on my 76er NYB.

Sometimes the charging control lamp "lights" on driving. (the little red lamp on the charging gauge)
After a couple of miles it stops "lighting" means everthing is ok.
But after a couple of miles the game is starting again. ("light on", "light off" .......)
Also possible "light" is off for 150 miles or more.
The gauge reads charge (testet on cigar lighter = 14,5V)

Battery is good (terminals tight and clean)
Alternator (100Amp) new
Electronic voltage regulator new
Ground Cables clean an tight.

any help ???
Thanks
Wolfgang

Last edited:
Oh how I hate intermittent problems. you stated this is a new alternator, was this problem present with the old one? I seem to remember, this as a sign of a bad diode in the alternator. Best way to tell is hook a multi-meter across the battery and see what kind of voltage is going into the battery. I have also seen this as a sign of the system overcharging. if you are getting 13.5 to 15 volts, take the alternator back and get another one. If you are not getting 13.5, or if the system goes full open, check the plug at the regulator. I have also seen the blue wire broken at the regulator plug. If good check the ground on the regulator, if good replace the regulator.

Oh how I hate intermittent problems. you stated this is a new alternator, was this problem present with the old one? I seem to remember, this as a sign of a bad diode in the alternator. Best way to tell is hook a multi-meter across the battery and see what kind of voltage is going into the battery. I have also seen this as a sign of the system overcharging. if you are getting 13.5 to 15 volts, take the alternator back and get another one. If you are not getting 13.5, or if the system goes full open, check the plug at the regulator. I have also seen the blue wire broken at the regulator plug. If good check the ground on the regulator, if good replace the regulator.

The problem was also present with the old alternator :-(
The problem was also present with the old reglator :-((

A good tip is to check the wires in the regulator plug ! And also I'l check for good ground.

Thank you

Back