cheap way to get a good rear end!

393foureyedfox

Reaction score
after putting in the EFI and the A518, the 2.84 gears really weren't good enough to use the overdrive. I looked into just getting a 3.55 suregrip to put in my 8.75 rear (66 Fury), but apparently they are gold plated. So I started doing some junkyard research.

If you want good gear ratios, suregrip differentials, and rear discs....read on. It does take some welding....

Find a pre-97 Dakota with the gear ratio you want. Most of them were 3.55's, seems about 10% also had the suregrip. Pull the rear end out. If it's a 6 lug rear end, toss the axles and get ONE axle (from either side), of an 87-91 dakota (they are 5 lug, everything else is the same), and put it in the DRIVERS side. Pull a PASSENGER side axle from an mid 90's Cherokee (NOT the grand cherokee), and slide it into the rear.

Find a grand cherokee with the rear discs, pull them off (the whole setup), and bolt them onto the dakota rear.

If you do all this in one junkyard, you only pay for one rear end ($80 around here).

The reason you need a passenger axle from the cherokee is that it is exactly one inch shorter than the dakota axle. The dakota axle assembly is just right on the drivers wheel flange to pinion centerline, but one inch too long on the passenger side wheel flange to pinion centerline. SO, you cut and remove exactly one inch from the dakota passenger side axle tube, square it back up (make sure it's straight and true!), and weld it back together. If youre not a good welder, take it to a pro. I am only writing what I did, and take no responsibility for your welding skills, or lack thereof.

weld on new spring perches, setting the rear end up with the same measurements and pinion angle.

Once it's welded and cleaned up, bolt all the grand cherokee brake stuff onto the housing, slide the axles in, put the c-clips back in, and bolt it back into the car.

3.55 suregrip disc brake rearend, for under $200.

every great now and then, youll even find a dakota with a 3.90 gearset.

Youll even be able to use the same driveshaft you had with the 8.75 rear.

have fun!

When looking for 3.55's for my 9 1/4", they, too, were non-existent.
Until I started searching under "JEEP". They popped up everywhere. Got my gears for $47.00 shipped!

Back