Checking out a 66 300

I texted my buddy who has probably rebuilt a hundred 727, he says he likes to stand it on the tail shaft. He said it takes a lot of patience so that is normal.
That is the easiest way to get it in place.

Once it's in, it falls out a lot easier than it went it, so when you get it to drop in, clip a pair of vice grips on the bellhousing to make sure it doesn't come out while handling the trans.

It's always just been lift,wiggle,turn,curse,shake until it goes all the way in... worst case, removed and make sure everything is free with a long screwdriver, repeat...

p.s. the cursing is extremely important...

I did that exact same thing last week.

It will slip right in after a half hour of agrevation. :lol:
Keep trying.

My childish mind couldn’t resist the “that’s what she said.....”

That is the easiest way to get it in place.

Once it's in, it falls out a lot easier than it went it, so when you get it to drop in, clip a pair of vice grips on the bellhousing to make sure it doesn't come out while handling the trans.

Yea I was thinking about that. But the damn thing is heavy and I’m working on it alone 90% of the time. I’ll try this tonight.

I texted my buddy who has probably rebuilt a hundred 727, he says he likes to stand it on the tail shaft. He said it takes a lot of patience so that is normal.

We had a pivot clamp for transmissions so it would be easier to flip and work on the trans while R&Ring these

Well setting it on the output shaft (well cushioned) did the trick. Well that along with the obligatory cursing and wiggles.

I’ve got to enlist some help. Late night wrenching is exhausting. But at least she’s in. Trans and all.

94063030-9E13-4D30-8CE7-6D7DE4A9E288.jpeg

932F1D89-AD0F-4C78-91B3-7A30B74F50A0.jpeg

So I’m just about ready ready to crank the motor back up and in going’s through my list of to do’s, I realized that I didn’t fill the converter when I installed it....how bad is that gonna be?

Pretty bad unless you fill it. Fill it then start the engine otherwise #@!+ followed by $$$$.

Crap. That’s kinda what I thought. Maybe i can fill it through the drain. This is frustrating. I don’t want to drop the trans again. I have everything on.

Alas, there's probably only one way to do it correctly, the time taken to remove/fill/replace is a nuisance but compared to the #$%^ and $$$$ of engine/gearbox damage it'll be time well spent.

Guys who are mechanically inclined may advise differently.
Good luck and happy motoring soon

Is this a new converter or is it one that was in the car?

IMHO, if it's the one that was in the car you are OK. The key thing is to have the internal parts lubed when you first crank the engine. Even though you might have drained the converter, there's still fluid in it that will accomplish that. If you start it in neutral, the trans pump will be working and it will fill the converter pretty fast.

If you look in your FSM under "drain and refill", you'll see that changing the fluid while the trans is in the car involved draining the fluid from the converter. Obviously, you can't refill the converter at that point.

If you also read the FSM, I don't believe it says anything about pre-filling the converter when you R&R the trans.

A brand new converter might be a different story. It may not have sufficient lube from assembly. Best to call the manufacturer on that.

Yup it’s the stock factory converter. Good point with the service manual not calling for it when R&R the trans and changing he fluid. I’m sure glad I don’t have to pull it.

As usual, the wealth of experience on this site saves the day.

I've done many trans/converter drain & refills (cabs), don't worry about it, just don't try to rev & go, and when you start the engine fill trans as it runs, don't get distracted by anything else.

Back