Chevrolet Full Floating Rear Axle (1936)

I can see the reasoning on the "barrel" shaped rollers but imagine the distortion under load caused a pretty good amount of heat. Other than that and wheel bearings now being oil bath it doesn't look like much has changed.

I sure could have used the full floats easy axle replacement feature on my old IHC corn binder.

Wheel bearings in a full floating rear don't come anywhere near the oil in the rear end housing.

View attachment 216330

An 8 3/4" rear, for example, is a semi floating axle. The oil seal is inboard of the wheel bearing, so that bearing doesn't run in the oil either. In fact, the wheel bearings on a 7 1/4" Mopar axle are sealed ball bearings. I just replaced a set on my Barracuda.

Difference between full and semi floating.

View attachment 216331
I beg to differ Big_John. The Dana's in my Dodge trucks and the eaton's in my semis are bathed in the same oil from the diff. The procedure for refilling the hubs after service is to jack up one side so gear oil drains down the tube from the differential to refill the hub, level it and top of the diff. If you pull an axle you better have a catch pan handy.

I beg to differ Big_John. The Dana's in my Dodge trucks and the eaton's in my semis are bathed in the same oil from the diff. The procedure for refilling the hubs after service is to jack up one side so gear oil drains down the tube from the differential to refill the hub, level it and top of the diff. If you pull an axle you better have a catch pan handy.
OK, I just learned something... I guess my problem is I focus so much on the cars from the 60's and 70's that I don't know what is going on with modern stuff. Thanks, I stand corrected and have deleted my post.

No need to delete your post, it had good illustrations. You are correct in that there are full floating that are greased. I think the smaller Dana's that are in older Power Wagons and Jeeps are the type you are referring to.

Back