Chrysler 360 Head Gaskets

68plymouth383

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some advice on which head gasket to use. I'm swapping heads on my truck. The block is a 1977 360. I'm debating on using either the 521sd felpro head gaskets. Or the 8553pt perma torque ones. I'm running very close to stock compression and want a gasket that will live a long time. I use my truck for towing, hauling. And pleasure driving. The heads are reworked iron 308 casting.

Not sure about what gasket is what (of the two noted), but I'd personally lean more toward the Fel-Pro brand. You' re not really stressing the engine too much, but need a good reliable seal. In that OEM-level performance level, both would probably work fine.

There can be a few finer points to look for, though, in comparison. Some gaskets will use a soft copper "wire" reinforcement behind/inside the "fire ring" for a better conforming seal. A stainless steel "fire ring" might be good to have, too, rather than the normal metal material. Some can have various colors of a Teflon coating rather than just "bare composition" materials. Might be good to aim for a thinner compressed thickness, for whatever little bit of added compression from the stock motor might be benefited from . . . a very minor point, though, but there can always be that "in the back of your head" thought that maybe that little added bit of compression ratio might make a difference. A judgment call.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Either one of those are a good choice, I use a lot of Fel-Pro PT at work. There good , but the SD may give you a little extra piece of mind.

Back