Chrysler-Badged Formal Police Cars

amazinblue82

Old Man with a Hat
FCBO Gold Member
Reaction score
They existed. The documentation, at least, is more readily available vs. the Fusie Chrysler-branded squads.

The 1976 Chrysler Police car promotional fleet advertising (along with the A body Darts and Valiants) calls them out specifically, on 124-in wheelbases no less.

The Newps were A38 "police package" cars, "Special Chrysler Newports Pursuits", second VIN digit NOT a "K", with 120 mph (NOT 140) speedos.

Never seen a Newp squad in person - ever., anywhere. Back then, or at anytime since. Darn things are as elusive as "BigFoot" .. lotta claims they've been seen, but nobody can prove it

Found these videos of the same ONE .. a 1975 Newport (nothing I see 'proves' its a real A38 car) thats overseas somewhere now (Russia I think). Alleged to be a former Orange County California Sheriffs car, as well as a 1975 model hereas some sources say they were built in 1976 only (can't be right since WV Staties had 'em in 1974).

Anybody know anything about THIS Orange County car? Anybody ever own Formal Newport squad and can post details here (pics, buildsheet, fender tag) if you will?

Anybody know of where one is (any year Formal Newport Squad, 1974-1978 MY)? PM me if so please, so I don't have to try to outrun commando1 to it .. he's Floridian and they are fast ya know :) )

Last edited:
1978 Newport that oftten comes up as "proof" .. but as seller notes, its a tribute car.

Seller of Classic Cars - 1978 Chrysler Newport (Black/Blue)

00-1-0.jpg
00-1-1.jpg
00-1-2.jpg
00-1-2-1.jpg
00-1-2-2.jpg

This one shows up too as proof of Newport Formal Squads. No details here either that confirm "reality" vs. tribute. Nice look though :)

same house as the black/white with blue above? I believe so. North Port Florida.

1976 Chryrsler Newport Police Car- North Port, Florida, United States, for US $8,500.00

View attachment 127040 View attachment 127041 View attachment 127045 View attachment 127042 View attachment 127043 View attachment 127044
That ad expired many years ago. That's why I hate these Internet sites that robosearch legit For Sale sites and never update them so just to get ad clicks.

The following pic is the only one I'd consider proof of the Formal era Newport Pursuit. All of the ones for sale that are shown above are botched efforts to try and make Newports "worth more" in the Gas Monkey BS car flipper arena.

23540bd5ab736326409c3f81d615e146.jpg

The following pic is the only one I'd consider proof of the Formal era Newport Pursuit. All of the ones for sale that are shown above are botched efforts to try and make Newports "worth more" in the Gas Monkey BS car flipper arena.

View attachment 127062

100% with ya Mr. C .. but i am still hoping 'Bigfoot" is for real and he'll pose for pics soon :) thanks

Lemme scan it for ya.
ONLY cuz it's you... :poke:

Actually, it needs to be scanned anyway. Maybe Doug and the Hamtramck Registry could use it

Good 'A38" code description in the "76 Dodge brochure, basically says you could make just about ANY Dodge model a "police package" car.

00-1-3-00.jpg

This is why I want to grab a Formal cop parts car. For the steering box, specifically.

yeah, that "firm feel" steering is nice. "lock-to-lock" ratio may be different too vs civi's but i don't recall/DONT know for sure. anyway, you notice it vs. civi cars for sure.

Six years ago a guy in CA bought all four that I had rescued from scrapyards/rustpiles over the years. Dunno, coulda been one of our fine current/past members here? :)

yeah, that "firm feel" steering is nice. "lock-to-lock" ratio may be different too vs civi's but i don't recall/DONT know for sure. anyway, you notice it vs. civi cars for sure.

Six years ago a guy in CA bought all four that I had rescued from scrapyards/rustpiles over the years. Dunno, coulda been one of our fine current/past members here? :)
Well, if anybody here has it, I'm looking.
Sway bars, too?

If it helps any....
As I recall, having driven new police cars from 1975 on up, one definitive way to tell the difference on a Mopar in the 70's was the power steering line cooler. Their police package cars had several fins on a longer power steering line, near the power steering pump, all black. I never saw that on another Mopar car. There were other differences that I don't recall right now.

I too never saw a Newport police package until 1980 or 1981. I'd imagine they were slightly more expensive. It seems that the dealers bid the less expensive cars to win the contract. I've driven police package Fury's, Gran Fury's, Monacos and Royal Monacos when they were new. On the Royal Monacos & later: St. Regis, the headlight doors were left open all the time, to keep them from freezing shut in the winter. I did not care for the police package, compact-sized 1982+ Diplomats and Gran Fury's when they were new, as they were just not very fast. At that time, my turbo 4-door Omni was much faster.

We also had 1977 Pontiac Lemans police cars with 400 4bbl's. They, too were amazingly slow. The 1978 mid-sized Fury's and Monacos with the same size engine definitely seemed quicker and were more reliable than the Pontiacs.

At any rate, on a Mopar, look for the oil line coolers, plus seats with very basic factory seat covers, unless it was a special order seat for the Chief or someone like that.

Last edited:
Back