Chrysler hearse

fc7_plumcrazy

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
This one is living in Luxemburg.
Found the pic on the net and just wanted to share as it is uncommon in the US

12190959_833663226755051_3896043961065067556_n.jpg

So it started out as a 4 door sedan?

Is this a conversion from a European coachbuilder or US ? Has more of a Euro style to me at least.

I think this looks way cooler, 2 door with long side glass, mag wheels to boot. Yeah, I'd go for a ride in this.

423.jpg

423.jpg

Yep that,s cool , there are some strange creatians here ( Netherlands/Belgium/France ), hearses , limo,s.

Okay...

Let's explain.

These type of hearses are common in Belgium or netherlands, because of the US militray bases. A lot of funeral companies bought US hearses.
In France there are not such hearses beacause we have our national cars companies ( renault, peugeot citroen.. )

There are 2 types of " US" hearses here in europe : real and " fakes " ones.
1) the real ones are harse based ont commercial chassis mostly from Cadillac. Cadillac delivered a commercial chassis ( mostly the front of the car ) to a coach builder ( Miller meteor ( wayne ), S&S.. ) that build the hearse.
This type of hearse can only be a hearse. If you remove the hearse modification, you have nothing under.

2) what i call " fakes " ones are from companies that do not offered commercial chassis ( or not many ) but a lot of station wagons.
Europeans coach builders bought US station wagon and convert them into hearse : adding coffins and curtains, removins reare seats ( of hide them under a wooden plank and modiy the rear door )
they are moslty mopars wagon and chevrolet.
They are " fakes " because if you remove all the hearse "modification you will have a classic wagon and nealy nothing can reveal that it was a hearse before.

This second type of hearse are very common in belgum and a lot of them has been destroyed or scrapped.
I owned 2 70's furys, 1 dodge polara 71 ( still have it ), 2 or 3 cadillacs. I converted my polara in a normal wagon because I get the cadillac that is a real hearse.
i destroyed or saw them being destroy many furys, cadillacs...

I think i may know the first chrysler in the pic or I can locate another one like this.
i never saw a fury like in the last picture ! it is quite cool. It makes me think of Mercedes hearses.

Okay , i thought i saw some hearse in france ads in the past.
The fury limo,s , i believe they made 11 of them.
I have seen a registratiancard once from one of the fury,s and it says 2dr ?

Okay , i thought i saw some hearse in france ads in the past.

Sure you have.
But they are not french cars moslty from belgium.
I am 99% sure that french funeral homes never used US hearses. i never saw it. Maybe in the 50's...

Back